The Student Room Group

Business Degree

I'm thinking of changing my application to business and management at Edge Hill University instead of Education. But it includes more exams than I had been previously looking for in a degree- instead of coursework- as exams aren't exactly my strong suit. Now I've looked at the breakdown of the course and everything, but does anybody know if the kinds of exams in a business and management degrees would be very essay heavy? Because I'm pretty awful at essays- especially when its under the pressure of a timed exam.
Original post by cheesetoasty
I'm thinking of changing my application to business and management at Edge Hill University instead of Education. But it includes more exams than I had been previously looking for in a degree- instead of coursework- as exams aren't exactly my strong suit. Now I've looked at the breakdown of the course and everything, but does anybody know if the kinds of exams in a business and management degrees would be very essay heavy? Because I'm pretty awful at essays- especially when its under the pressure of a timed exam.

They are pretty essay heavy, but I fail to understand how that would be that different to say a degree in Education.
You're typically looking at 1-2 pieces of coursework + 1 predominantly essay based exam for each module. The accounting and stats module tend to less essay heavy, but you're still expected to produce quite a bit of writing.

It's very unlikely that you would find a nonquantitative degree that doesn't have a lot of essays.
Reply 2
The answer depends on how quantitative the business management degree is. A business management degree at Edgehill will be very different from one at Bath or Warwick! so in the first instance look carefully at the modules on offer, this is what will tell you how essay based it may or may not be. Does the course at Edgehill lead to exam exemptions for e.g ACCA?? that may be another clue as to how quantitative or essay based it will be.

My last point is, how much really do you want to do this course as it doesn't sound like you really like it that much i.e Bus. Mgt? please don't study a degree half heartedly. If you're not sure what to do yet, why not take a year out? what are you hoping to do after your degree in business management?
Original post by cheesetoasty

Hi @cheesetoasty

It's great to hear that you're considering studying BSc (Hons) Business and Management with us.

You can see a breakdown of how each module on the course is assessed here.

The emphasis of assessments though out this course is for students to improve. Tutors provide students with a lot of feedback on assessments to help them progress and achieve higher grades.

If you feel that you would benefit from extra support for essay writing, you may find it helpful to look at our UniSkills toolkits. You can also book on to a UniSkills workshop.

If you would like to speak to a current Edge Hill Student about the course and assessments, Michelle is a 2nd year student of Business and Management.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to get in touch if you need any help.

Best of luck with your future studies,

Melissa- Course Enquiries
Reply 4
Three core modules in my first year had exams. They were 20 multiple choice questions and then two short essay questions. No exams for me over remainder of my degree because I picked the modules that specifically didn’t have exams. The staff provide lots of guidance and support so you can do well if you do revision. My highest module grades were the exam based ones and I’m not good at exams.
just to add, Uni exams aren't like school exams. It is more about showing critical thinking (etc) than answering carefully worded questions that will be marked in their thousands

As a Bus and Mgt UG/ PG lecturer my job is to make sure you understand what the assessment is about and prepare you for it. Read the question, read the marking grid, read beyond the taught material - and you will be fine :smile:

IMO, pick a subject you can enjoy and don't let the assessment method put you off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending