The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Living on Campus – What To Expect?

If you are starting university in September, living on campus is an excellent choice! Not only will you be located close to your lectures, but you will also have the chance to meet and bond with students who are just as excited and nervous about starting university as you. Below are some thoughts on what to expect from on-campus living. As I am a current Swansea student, I will also mention my campus experience to give you some insight.
Structure & Regulations University halls are mostly under the administration of the uni and therefore have rules and regulations that you should be aware of. It is key that you are mindful of noise pollution, cleanliness, and shared facilities. For example, most on-campus halls are structured as flats with ensuite rooms, shared kitchen, and common areas. Expect to have a bin rota, room inspections and shared appliances. This gives you an insight into being an adult away from home for the first time!

In Swansea, the university also has a partnership with some campus-adjacent private student halls with more features and close transport links. You can find out more here.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Amenities One of the benefits of living on campus is that all basic amenities such as supermarkets, laundry rooms, student canteens and bars and common areas for games and events are nearby. Additionally, a feature that I appreciated was 24hr security in most halls. Your accommodation induction will give you advice on your nearest shops, gyms, etc.

In Swansea, the two campuses both have accommodation and are in ideal locations. There are supermarkets e.g., Tesco located within walking distance to campus and dedicated transport links via university route buses. Additionally, University Health services are also located close by.
Inspections This is something that freshers may struggle with. Moving to university for the first time is daunting and you may be figuring out your newfound independence. You should expect to have your flat’s communal areas and rooms inspected every semester/year. This is useful to identify any repairs but also to check that you keep your areas clean - be mindful that an untidy flat/room can lead to hazards in an emergency.
Extracurriculars In my opinion, the best feature of halls on campus is that there is space for scheduled or free entertainment/activities. Accommodation services may organise movie nights, gaming tournaments, etc. in the common rooms. As a new student, it gives you many opportunities to make friends with students who are in the same boat as you. These extracurricular activities can also help you identify any clubs or societies you may wish to join.

In Swansea, schemes like GoSocial and International@CampusLife also organise fun activities for students indoors and outdoors throughout the year to keep you engaged and provide breaks from studying. Find out more.
Swansea in my opinion has another advantage when it comes to living on campus both the locations are close to the beach! In fact, one campus Bay Campus is actually based on the beach. If you choose to live on Singleton Campus, you can expect to be greeted with magnificent views of both Singleton Park and the Swansea Beach.

Hope this helps you decide whether living on campus is for you or not.

Ruchika Yadav Swansea Student Ambassador 3rd year Graduate Entry Medicine
Original post by Swansea Students
Inspections This is something that freshers may struggle with. Moving to university for the first time is daunting and you may be figuring out your newfound independence. You should expect to have your flat’s communal areas and rooms inspected every semester/year. This is useful to identify any repairs but also to check that you keep your areas clean - be mindful that an untidy flat/room can lead to hazards in an emergency.

It is all very well you posting this but the reality is that Swansea has 2 campus.es and the one most students go to has only just 1/2 the accommodation of the smaller one. The result of this is that manty students have to live on the bay and go by bus to Singleton.
Reply 7
Structure & Regulations University halls are mostly under the administration of the uni and therefore have rules and regulations that you should be aware of. It is key that you are mindful of noise pollution, cleanliness, and shared facilities. For example, most on-campus halls are structured as flats with ensuite rooms, shared kitchen, and common areas. Expect to have a bin rota, room inspections and shared appliances. This gives you an insight into being an adult away from home for the first time!

In Swansea, the university also has a partnership with some campus-adjacent private student halls with more features and close transport links. You can find out more here.

Hi, do you know how the room/flat allocation numbers work? My number doesn't seem to correlate to others in my building. Mine is 016/03 but nobody else's first digit appears to be above 5.
If you are starting university in September, living on campus is an excellent choice! Not only will you be located close to your lectures, but you will also have the chance to meet and bond with students who are just as excited and nervous about starting university as you. Below are some thoughts on what to expect from on-campus living. As I am a current Swansea student, I will also mention my campus experience to give you some insight.

(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest