The Student Room Group

Looking for the Best Laptop for Students – Need Recommendations

Hey everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently on the hunt for a new laptop to aid me in my studies, and I'd really appreciate some guidance and suggestions. As a student, my budget isn't limitless, so I'm hoping to find something that strikes a good balance between performance, durability, and affordability.

I'll be using the laptop for student [ https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/d/deals/best-laptop-for-students/ ]primarily for writing assignments, research, coding, and a bit of multimedia consumption. Portability is also a factor since I'll be carrying it around campus. So, with all of this in mind, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what laptops I should be considering.

Here are a few points that I have in mind:

1. Performance: I'm looking for a laptop that can handle multitasking without slowing down. It would be great if it could handle coding software and run multiple tabs without a hitch.

2. Battery Life: Since I'll be moving around a lot, a laptop with decent battery life would be a lifesaver. I wouldn't want to constantly worry about finding a charging outlet.

3. Build Quality: Durability is key. A laptop that can withstand a bit of wear and tear would be ideal, given the student life can sometimes be a bit unpredictable.

4. Budget: As I mentioned earlier, my budget isn't extravagant. I'm looking for something that offers value for money without compromising too much on performance.

5. Brand Preference: I don't have any strong brand preferences, but I'm open to suggestions from reputable brands known for their laptops.

So, if any of you have had positive experiences with laptops that fit these criteria, or if you've come across any recent deals or releases, please do share! It would be incredibly helpful to hear about real-world experiences rather than just relying on reviews. Also, if there are any ongoing sales or back-to-school offers, that would be awesome to know.

Looking forward to your insights and recommendations. Thanks in advance, everyone!
When you say your budget "isn't extravagant", how would you define that in terms of the most you're willing to spend.

A good cheap option is to get a used ThinkPad T480 for around ~200 - it's a bit old but it's still reasonably powerful, and the RAM, SSD and Battery can be upgraded as needed. ThinkPads are also known for having good build quality and keyboards. Additionally, spending more, might get you more.
Reply 2
Original post by fizzyizzy05
When you say your budget "isn't extravagant", how would you define that in terms of the most you're willing to spend.

A good cheap option is to get a used ThinkPad T480 for around ~200 - it's a bit old but it's still reasonably powerful, and the RAM, SSD and Battery can be upgraded as needed. ThinkPads are also known for having good build quality and keyboards. Additionally, spending more, might get you more.

I would certainly concur here, these are Business machines and made to last. May not be the slimmest, yet still portable enough and as you need good battery life, that makes up for having a longer usage duration.

But you must know what you are looking for when buying these types of machines, not to scare you off, but being used in the corporate environment they may not all been in the like new or in best of condition.

If that is the case then Lenovo, HP or Dell are good machines, but with each of them you will need to avoid low consumer grade versions. These come with CPU's that are marked as Celeron, Core i3, go for i5 & i7, but no less than 10th Gen. Also, minimum RAM should be 8GB (pref 16GB) and Storage no less than 128GB (pref 256GB), again this all depends on your budget. Can you say what your budget is, or alteast a ball park figure ?

Unless you are going to be doing some heavy gaming of the latest titles or doing video Editing/rendering/CAD/CAM or Photoediting, a low mid-range machine will suffice for documents, social media, youtune/netflix extra, but still enough power to keep you going for a good few years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending