The Student Room Group

yr12 prep

how can i prepare myself for yr 12
Don’t worry too much about it - your school/college should have set you any summer homework that you really need to do, but I’d recommend you go over your core GCSE knowledge for your A level subjects if appropriate (obviously something like history or English it’s less useful but STEM/languages it’s imperative to have a good basis to start on).

I’d also recommend getting lots of folders, flashcards and flashcard organisers, and setting these up so it’s easy to keep everything organised and make revision resources e.g. flashcards from the beginning. Take it from someone who’s just finished y12: a lack of organisation will come back to bite you quicker than you expect so start the way you mean to go on and don’t let it pile up until end-of-years come around!

Edit: I should emphasise, all you really need to do (and these things are for) is to be ready to start working hard from the first term, so be sure to make the most of this summer and not get too bogged down in A level work yet!
Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by hafsaaaaaaaaa
how can i prepare myself for yr 12

Tell us which subjects and which exam boards you are doing and maybe you can be given some recommendations for resources to give a look so you can do some pre-reading.

Make sure to use the specifications to get an idea of the content you’ll be covering.
Reply 3
yeah i agree with the all of the above. just get all your summer work done and be organised with everything that you need for the year. i'd also add that since you have a lot of free time now, if you're applying to uni, maybe start doing some of your reading for it now? ofc you don't have to but as someone who now has coursework and additional reading around subjects piling on top of my epq and personal statement, i literally have no time for reading and im also such a slow reader. if you do some of it earlier, it will help you in the long run especially because the start of year 12, to me, was a lot calmer than the rest lol.

like the poster above, give us your subjects and specs and we can give you some more tailored advice for those subjects

edit: just remembered another piece of advice - if you're eligible for them, start looking at widening participation programmes with companies or unis that you are looking at e.g sutton trust or uniq and keep a close eye on when applications open+close because THESE ARE SO USEFUL. you can get work experience and get a taste for different subjects at uni level. if you tell us what you're hoping to do after sixth-form/college, then we can give you some advice on that as well
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
Tell us which subjects and which exam boards you are doing and maybe you can be given some recommendations for resources to give a look so you can do some pre-reading.

Make sure to use the specifications to get an idea of the content you’ll be covering.

i am planning on doing history (aqa), sociology (ocr), and econ (edexcel) . but im thinking that i might do maths (edexcel) depending on my grade.
im not sure about what i want to do after sixth form
i am planning on doing history (aqa), sociology (ocr), and econ (edexcel) . but im thinking that i might do maths (edexcel) depending on my grade.
im not sure about what i want to do after sixth form

I did Edexcel maths and it was great. If you do consider it, Bicen Maths is an excellent starting point.

I’m afraid I never did history, economics or sociology. Though if you do decide to do anything economics related beyond A level, you might need to take A level maths…
Reply 6
Original post by TazmeenX
yeah i agree with the all of the above. just get all your summer work done and be organised with everything that you need for the year. i'd also add that since you have a lot of free time now, if you're applying to uni, maybe start doing some of your reading for it now? ofc you don't have to but as someone who now has coursework and additional reading around subjects piling on top of my epq and personal statement, i literally have no time for reading and im also such a slow reader. if you do some of it earlier, it will help you in the long run especially because the start of year 12, to me, was a lot calmer than the rest lol.

like the poster above, give us your subjects and specs and we can give you some more tailored advice for those subjects

edit: just remembered another piece of advice - if you're eligible for them, start looking at widening participation programmes with companies or unis that you are looking at e.g sutton trust or uniq and keep a close eye on when applications open+close because THESE ARE SO USEFUL. you can get work experience and get a taste for different subjects at uni level. if you tell us what you're hoping to do after sixth-form/college, then we can give you some advice on that as well

i wrote the subjects that im planning on doing. btw what are readings.

Readings are articles/textbook extracts/anything like that (which you “read”) that is relevant to and helps you with what you’re studying.
In terms of these, first of all have you been given any summer homework/information? For history this should give you some background readings on your courses, but if not I’d recommend you find a few relevant documentaries and look at online resources (e.g. seneca or save my exams) to give you an introduction to the concepts.
Not sure about the others but there might be introduction CGP books you can get (I know they exist for sciences as “head start to A level” so they should also exist at least for maths, likely also for at least one of sociology and economics).
Reply 8

right okay so you're doing pretty essay content heavy subjects therefore its super important you keep on top of notes and revision (e.g make sure you're making flashcards as often as possible). if you know what textbooks your school use, perhaps have a look through them (the website anna's archive is good if you don't want to buy them haha) and just ease yourself into what a-level content feels like.

sociology is quite nice as the content that you start with isnt conceptually difficult so you'll be able to transition go well. history and econ i don't do but i do maths and i think something that helped me was introducing some of the content early and going over parts of gcse i didn't fully get.

by readings, i mean additional reading you have done around the subject you want to study at uni. ofc if you don't know what you want to do then that's fine you don't have to worry about it at this point. just have a look around at different subjects you enjoy on uni websites to see what they cover. also, the short introudction book series is super good to get a taster of a lot of subjects at uni. ofc you don't have to do uni at all. look at apprenticeships and other alternatives at this point so you are aware of all your options. you can also still apply to uni summer schools (if you are eligible) and perhaps you can apply for different subject strands to get a taste of lots of subjects. same with things like sutton trust and smbp - they'll give you some good experience. online work experience and moocs are also super useful.

Quick Reply

Latest