The Student Room Group

Commuting, does foundation year classed as first year?

I’m starting foundation year at uni next month and it’s a 40 min commute. I was wondering that since I’ll be starting my course’s first year next year (after foundation year) would I be put with other new first year students when moving into accommodation?

I decided to commute for my foundation but Im not regretting it since I find it difficult to make friends, so I’m deciding to move into uni halls for my second year but I’d want to be put with other new students for it to be easier to make friends since they’ll be new.
First year students do tend to go for University Halls as their first option and some Universities might offer these to first years only, but it's not going to be the case across the board and you might find yourself mixed with other students.

Most of the time, students going into their second or third years will have already made a friendship group to live with in alternative housing options or maybe living alone. Chances are, most will be first year like yourself but I'm sure most people will be in the same boat and looking to make friends too either way!
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting foundation year at uni next month and it’s a 40 min commute. I was wondering that since I’ll be starting my course’s first year next year (after foundation year) would I be put with other new first year students when moving into accommodation?

I decided to commute for my foundation but Im not regretting it since I find it difficult to make friends, so I’m deciding to move into uni halls for my second year but I’d want to be put with other new students for it to be easier to make friends since they’ll be new.

Hi there,

Most of the university halls are full of first year students only as second years and above often decide to move into a student house after living in halls in their first year and making their group of friends. I am sure that the majority of people at your uni who are living in halls next year will be first year students.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending