The Student Room Group

Malaysia elective - visa help

Hello,

I'll be starting a clinical elective in Malaysia this summer and I do not know what visa to apply for. I am an Indian citizen studying in the UK. My elective hospital will be institut jantung negara which is a private hospital in Malaysia so I am unsure as to what visa I need. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey, I'm sorry I can't help you out with the visa info, but I'm also a UK student doing an elective in Malaysia this May. I was wondering what sort of accommodation you've booked - if any??

I'm finding it quite hard to get a place for just 6 weeks, which is all I need
Original post by LA.SI.
Hey, I'm sorry I can't help you out with the visa info, but I'm also a UK student doing an elective in Malaysia this May. I was wondering what sort of accommodation you've booked - if any??

I'm finding it quite hard to get a place for just 6 weeks, which is all I need

Not sure I can help with the first post, but I did my elective in Malaysia as a UK citizen. Are you expecting to be working there for the entire period? For my Vietnamese hospital elective (4 weeks) I had to work there the whole time, and did well staying in "homestay" style airbnb properties. In Malaysia I stays in a hotel, but that's because the hospital (HKL) is notorious for letting elective students get signed off early and go travelling (which they did).
Reply 3
Original post by MedCourse
Not sure I can help with the first post, but I did my elective in Malaysia as a UK citizen. Are you expecting to be working there for the entire period? For my Vietnamese hospital elective (4 weeks) I had to work there the whole time, and did well staying in "homestay" style airbnb properties. In Malaysia I stays in a hotel, but that's because the hospital (HKL) is notorious for letting elective students get signed off early and go travelling (which they did).

What arrangement did you have with visas? I assumed I could get by on the uk visa-free entry for my elective in Malaysia but now I’m worried I won’t be able to. I’m due to start my elective in the middle of September. Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by NoahFr
What arrangement did you have with visas? I assumed I could get by on the uk visa-free entry for my elective in Malaysia but now I’m worried I won’t be able to. I’m due to start my elective in the middle of September. Thanks!

You should be able to go visa-free for 90 days according to this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malaysia/entry-requirements. That's what I did. Vietnam was different. Have a look around on this site to confirm.
Reply 5
Original post by MedCourse
You should be able to go visa-free for 90 days according to this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malaysia/entry-requirements. That's what I did. Vietnam was different. Have a look around on this site to confirm.

Thanks for your reply! I just sent you a message to ask some stuff if that’s okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending