The Student Room Group

anyone taking a Gap Year (Leeds)

anyone taking a gap year? how's it going?
what are you doing now that school is over?

:smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
anyone taking a gap year? how's it going?
what are you doing now that school is over?

Fallen into a slump last month.. but am volunteering, looking for a job, want to develop some skills and maybe travel. Also need to reapply for uni; I’m just procrastinating. Hbu?
Reply 2
Original post by pepperstalk
Fallen into a slump last month.. but am volunteering, looking for a job, want to develop some skills and maybe travel. Also need to reapply for uni; I’m just procrastinating. Hbu?

sorry for the late reply :smile:

so yeah, I went through the same thing, the slump and all that, but I got myself together because I do want to live a life before I die, lol.

[start]What kind of volunteering are you doing?[/start]

[start]Where do you want to travel?[/start]

[start]As for me, well, I'm thinking of taking two gap years. In the first year, I'll study some more and work, and then in the second half, I'll travel. Currently, I'm working at McDonald's; it's okay, but they're not giving me enough shifts. I need something more permanent. So, I applied to a law firm as a receptionist (I want to study law in uni, so this is a good opportunity). They'll let me know tomorrow if I got the job, but if I don't, it is what it is. I have another job interview in the next three days at Amazon, so yeah. Oh, I also want to move out, so I'm saving up for that.[/start]

[quote="ScoobyZazzy;98911546"]sorry for the late reply :smile:

so yeah, I went through the same thing, the slump and all that, but I got myself together because I do want to live a life before I die, lol.

[start]What kind of volunteering are you doing?[/start]

[start]Where do you want to travel?

[start]As for me, well, I'm thinking of taking two gap years. In the first year, I'll study some more and work, and then in the second half, I'll travel. Currently, I'm working at McDonald's; it's okay, but they're not giving me enough shifts. I need something more permanent. So, I applied to a law firm as a receptionist (I want to study law in uni, so this is a good opportunity). They'll let me know tomorrow if I got the job, but if I don't, it is what it is. I have another job interview in the next three days at Amazon, so yeah. Oh, I also want to move out, so I'm saving up for that.[/start]

[/start]
I do too :biggrin: I was in fact quite productive in the holidays, did some work/wex but after the structure of the wex left I relaxed a little too hard...

At a farm + charity shop I was at before exams

If I finally get a job (lit pls anyone take me), I want to apply to one of them volunteering programmes in South East Asia - Thailand/Vietnam/Indonesia/India bc they are notably cheaper, are known gap year destinations and so will be easier to research and travel

What made u want to take 2? I'm currently applying to Christmas temp roles and have an interview for H&M next week. A night role would be ideal but have had little luck with getting responses and I've applied for I think 50 roles in the past 3 weeks.
Reply 4
Original post by pepperstalk

I do too :biggrin: I was in fact quite productive in the holidays, did some work/wex but after the structure of the wex left I relaxed a little too hard...

At a farm + charity shop I was at before exams

If I finally get a job (lit pls anyone take me), I want to apply to one of them volunteering programmes in South East Asia - Thailand/Vietnam/Indonesia/India bc they are notably cheaper, are known gap year destinations and so will be easier to research and travel

What made u want to take 2? I'm currently applying to Christmas temp roles and have an interview for H&M next week. A night role would be ideal but have had little luck with getting responses and I've applied for I think 50 roles in the past 3 weeks.

I'm not sure why I can't see your reply.

I can see it through "Reply Now."

How was the farm and charity work? I did some volunteering/internship at a law firm, and it was quite eye-opening.

What do you want to study for uni?

I'm taking 2 gap years because I want to get an A* to apply to Oxbridge and live a bit before going into law school. So, yeah, I'll be studying and working this year, and the next year, I'll travel.

Oh, I also want to travel in that part of Asia. I need to do more research on it. I'm not quite sure where to start. I'd like to meet a lot of people in my travels, especially those who are also taking a gap year.

When are you thinking of going? :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
I'm not sure why I can't see your reply.

I can see it through "Reply Now."

How was the farm and charity work? I did some volunteering/internship at a law firm, and it was quite eye-opening.

What do you want to study for uni?

I'm taking 2 gap years because I want to get an A* to apply to Oxbridge and live a bit before going into law school. So, yeah, I'll be studying and working this year, and the next year, I'll travel.

Oh, I also want to travel in that part of Asia. I need to do more research on it. I'm not quite sure where to start. I'd like to meet a lot of people in my travels, especially those who are also taking a gap year.

When are you thinking of going? :smile:

Maybe I faffed around with the text too much bc i began replying in the blue bit and then copied it over.

I'm basically free labour at the farm. SInce I'm with livestock, I do a lot of cleaning out. I enjoy it though as its the only consistent structure I have atm and also interacting with the animals. The charity shop work was helpful being on the tills so I could put that on my CV but apart from that its a bit boring/ not as enjoyable without my friend who used to do it with me.

I did some accountancy and vet wex. Veterinary med was my intended uni application but after that I changed my mind and I will now be applying to optometry. So now that deadline has shifted to Jan I've become lazier lol.

I don't think I could do the same out of fear of being older than everyone else and falling behind. I rlly need to work on discipline...

None of my travel plans are set in stone tbh I may not end up travelling at all depending on my situation at the end of my year. I need to make sure I've saved enough so it would be towards end. Bc I am still looking out for apprenticeship roles which appear in spring as well- so maybe when Ik I've def got a role.
Hey! I’m having a gap year, not quite leeds bit staffordshire so not crazy far away!
Reply 7
Original post by JessicaGreen2005
Hey! I’m having a gap year, not quite leeds bit staffordshire so not crazy far away!

Hii sorry I aired you 😭😭 but do u wanna talk on discord with some other people who are also taking a gap year (my discord it blue0841)

Quick Reply

Latest