The Student Room Group

Can I apply to University with just provisional drivers license?

I don’t have a valid passport and I’m scared I won’t be able to apply to uni without it.

I will not have it for the next several months due to personal circumstances I would like to not discuss.
Hi!

Are you a home student or an international student? I was a home student and I applied for university without a passport because I'd never had one! This wasn't a problem for me, but if you are worried I would recommend trying to get in touch with the admissions team of your chosen university.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
Mike
Reply 2
Hi,

I’m a home student

Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi!

Are you a home student or an international student? I was a home student and I applied for university without a passport because I'd never had one! This wasn't a problem for me, but if you are worried I would recommend trying to get in touch with the admissions team of your chosen university.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
Mike
@PQ - do you need any ID at any stage of a UCAS app, even for an independent applicant?
We wouldn't normally need ID at the point of application with the exception of applicants with settled/presettled status (and even then it can be put off if there's an issue).

For enrolment a driving licence isn't sufficient. It proves identity but not citizenship and so we would need it to be accompanied by a birth certificate.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
We wouldn't normally need ID at the point of application with the exception of applicants with settled/presettled status (and even then it can be put off if there's an issue).

For enrolment a driving licence isn't sufficient. It proves identity but not citizenship and so we would need it to be accompanied by a birth certificate.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have settled status and will be applying soon. Will I need to mail my passport to UCAS when I apply?
Original post by zeasea
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have settled status and will be applying soon. Will I need to mail my passport to UCAS when I apply?

No, you may need to send a copy to the uni. They might accept a scan or photo though.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
No, you may need to send a copy to the uni. They might accept a scan or photo though.

Thanks!
Original post by zeasea

You'll need to send them proof of settled status through each uni's portal and you might need to send them a photo of your passport, though I don't quite remember if I had to for the unis I applied to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending