The Student Room Group

Denied car insurance even though I've passed my test?

Every online insurance provider denies me insurance, even though I passed my test a month ago. They all say when I enter my driver's license number I still have a provisional license; I don't have a provisional since I handed it in to the DVSA after my test.
I don't get it?
Original post by steve_2001
Every online insurance provider denies me insurance, even though I passed my test a month ago. They all say when I enter my driver's license number I still have a provisional license; I don't have a provisional since I handed it in to the DVSA after my test.
I don't get it?

In that case enter in your licence details manually, but make sure you do so accurately.
Have you received your new full licence yet? They have been swamped for years now and may not have updated you licence records to show you've passed yet? or it might take time to get updated to the insurers databases etc.

Sometimes online/comparison sites can give weird/no quotes for loads of small reasons and it can be far clearer to phone and talk through an application directly with one of them.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Have you received your new full licence yet? They have been swamped for years now and may not have updated you licence records to show you've passed yet? or it might take time to get updated to the insurers databases etc.

Sometimes online/comparison sites can give weird/no quotes for loads of small reasons and it can be far clearer to phone and talk through an application directly with one of them.

I haven't received my license yet, but I know people who got insurance the same day as they passed, so I'm sure you can drive without physically receiving your license.
I haven't received my license yet, but I know people who got insurance the same day as they passed, so I'm sure you can drive without physically receiving your license.

Yea you can legally drive, when you hand them your provisional licence after passing you're supposed to get a small paper certificate matching your new entitlements until the new card arrives (But I dunno if they still physically gave you one due to the covid restrictions?) But beyond that there will still be some sort of process and delay while the DVLA updates records and I'm not sure whether insures/comparison sites search DVLA databases directly or some kind of 3rd party that might take even longer to update, I'm just speculating though. I'd deffo phone an insurer and talk them directly, I've always got on well with Admiral since I passed.
Reply 5
I don't get it?

go to https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence this link and if it shows u have license then u do.. and u can generate a share code and send to the insurance people simple.
Original post by JAF16
go to https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence this link and if it shows u have license then u do.. and u can generate a share code and send to the insurance people simple.

Approved your post.

I believe OP may still be in the same situation, I think the problem here is that DVLA haven't registered the full licence yet (this is a guess).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
I don't get it?

You'll need to speak to a human. Expect for them to expect to see a copy of your test pass certificate.
Reply 8
I have to ask, as a separate issue because the insurance thing is weird it should go through within 24 hours for insurance.

It has been over a month but you haven't received your driving licence yet, did you choose to have it sent automatically? If so are you sure you have passed?
Original post by StriderHort

I agree.
Id phone them up and see what they say.
Reply 10
I’m in the same situation, any update?
Reply 11
Original post by Ykkkk
I’m in the same situation, any update?

same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending