The Student Room Group

Driving supervisor

Is there anyway to get someone to supervise u while u drive in ur own car and u don’t have a license. Ik that’s basically an instructor but what if u have a car and no one in ur family to supervise u to drive, can u hire a supervisor as such?
Reply 1
That would most certainly fall under the scope of a driving instructor.
Reply 2
At minimum you would need a provisional license. Then you can be accompanied by someone who is 21 or over, has a full driving license and has held it for a minimum of 3 years and covers the car they’re supervising you in i.e manual/automatic.

You also need insurance that covers you to drive on a provisional license and also covers the supervising driver.

And the car needs the usuals - mot, tax etc!

I think that’s all. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I have anything wrong 😊
Original post by Camerooon1
At minimum you would need a provisional license. Then you can be accompanied by someone who is 21 or over, has a full driving license and has held it for a minimum of 3 years and covers the car they’re supervising you in i.e manual/automatic.

You also need insurance that covers you to drive on a provisional license and also covers the supervising driver.

And the car needs the usuals - mot, tax etc!

I think that’s all. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I have anything wrong 😊

This.
OP- do you not have anyone at all eg. friends, family etc who could go in the car with you?
Original post by Anonymous
Is there anyway to get someone to supervise u while u drive in ur own car and u don’t have a license. Ik that’s basically an instructor but what if u have a car and no one in ur family to supervise u to drive, can u hire a supervisor as such?

hiring a supervisor' would fall into teaching or superivsiing for a learner driver for payment , which requires you to be an ADI
Reply 5
A supervisor does not need their own or your driver's insurance cover to allow them to supervise you

Before you find anyone to sit in and supervise you the supervisor should check the learner has a minimum of third party insurance cover that covers them to drive the vehicle they are driving, and that L plates are displayed front and rear.

They should look for an insurance policy that is in the name of your learner driver and that they are a policy holder or a named driver on a policy for that vehicle. There are very few 'any driver' with permission policies now. Driving instructors usually have any driver policies to cover everyone they instruct provided the driver they supervise is not banned or holds a relevant licence for the category of vehicle they are driving. Trade policies usually have employment restrictions. Someone else's policy with a 'third party' clause to drive other vehicles not owned by the policy holder usually do not cover the driver as there needs to be a policy of insurance covering the vehicle to start with.

A driver needs third party insurance as a minimum.

If you supervise a driver and that driver has no insurance you as 'supervisor' could be liable for permitting no insurance (using a car without insurance if it is your car) or aiding and abetting no insurance (or any other traffic violation your learner driver has committed) That is usually a minimum of 6 points on the supervisors licence. When faced with that most supervisors who are little more than a passenger rather than a true supervisor say they are not supervising - the driver then gets an additional charge of driving without a qualified supervisor being present. If you are a supervisor in 'name' only you could end up being charged with the same dangerous driving or careless driving as the driver if you failed to act promptly and effectively to stop the driver driving badly.
Original post by Anonymous

Probably not in your own car, this would create all sorts of insurance conundrums, just book a driving lesson. It will probably cost you about £35/hr.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending