The Student Room Group

geography application

Hi!
I am applying to uni and i have a few questions:
1. I am not sure wether to apply to 5 unis roughly my predicted grades or 4 at my grades with 1 below. I have completed 3 summer schools which have allowed me to gain contextual offers at 3 uni. 2 of these grades will be BBB, and one will be AAB(aspirational uni, as I an predicted ABB). As these are guaranteed contextu offers, I would decline the back up uni anyway? I figured i would just be able to apply for clearing if I dont get offers?
2. I am not sure wether to choose a uni based on prestige or where I believe i would perform the best. Do employers ‘care’ more about the rank on a league table of yhe uni you went to, or wether you graduated with a hugh grade from a uni that is not highly ranked on league tables. Would it be better to look at league tables overall or specifically for my subjects?
3. I have hears that a Bsc is more employable than a BA.. if I apply for a BA but swirch to a Bsc, would my dissertation need to be based on physical geography? (Bsc), or would I be able to make it human geog based as i am assuming i will take optional human geograohy modules.

Extra Q: when would it be best to start properly revising, and how do people revise…also how long should I be revising for after school daily and on weekends ?

Thanks so much in advance, to anyone that answers even one question, I am so so grateful 🙏🙏

Thank you- A stressed out Year13 Xx
(edited 6 months ago)
1. Speak to the universities directly about your chances of an offer. It’s better to apply somewhere and get rejected than waste a choice on a university that you have no intention of accepting.

2. Employers employ YOU not your degree. The key things that influence employability is your degree classification and your experience outside your studies. So the main thing when picking a university is finding somewhere that you think you’ll be happy and motivated to do your best both inside your studies and beyond them.

3. This is nonsense. BA or BSc for a degree is based on the decision of a committee in the university when the degree was started - for most geography degrees that will have been in the 40s or 50s so completely irrelevant to the course content today. As above - your degree classification is more important than the type of award. Some specific jobs will look for specific content from your degree - but if you wouldn’t enjoy a dissertation on those topics then you wouldn’t enjoy a career in them either!
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
1. Speak to the universities directly about your chances of an offer. It’s better to apply somewhere and get rejected than waste a choice on a university that you have no intention of accepting.

2. Employers employ YOU not your degree. The key things that influence employability is your degree classification and your experience outside your studies. So the main thing when picking a university is finding somewhere that you think you’ll be happy and motivated to do your best both inside your studies and beyond them.

3. This is nonsense. BA or BSc for a degree is based on the decision of a committee in the university when the degree was started - for most geography degrees that will have been in the 40s or 50s so completely irrelevant to the course content today. As above - your degree classification is more important than the type of award. Some specific jobs will look for specific content from your degree - but if you wouldn’t enjoy a dissertation on those topics then you wouldn’t enjoy a career in them either!

I was wondering how you'd go about the first point. Do you suggest just dropping the universities admissions team and email?
Original post by Jieay20
I was wondering how you'd go about the first point. Do you suggest just dropping the universities admissions team and email?

No. I advise picking up the phone and ringing them. Or even better speaking to someone from admissions in person at an open day.

If you email then you’re likely to be referred back to the website or given a stock response. If you have an actual conversation then you can make it clear that you aren’t asking about the standard entry requirements but the way applications are filtered to decide who gets and offer and who gets a rejection.
Reply 4
Original post by pollyparrot31
I am not sure whether to choose a uni based on prestige or where I believe i would perform the best.

Where you will enjoy the course and feel comfortable in the surroundings - every time.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
No. I advise picking up the phone and ringing them. Or even better speaking to someone from admissions in person at an open day.

If you email then you’re likely to be referred back to the website or given a stock response. If you have an actual conversation then you can make it clear that you aren’t asking about the standard entry requirements but the way applications are filtered to decide who gets and offer and who gets a rejection.

Oh okay, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending