The Student Room Group

Too late to switch from BTEC to A levels?

Hello everyone, I am currently in y12 doing BTEC creative media, however I am really disliking the course and I cannot see myself working within this industry.

I was wondering if it’d be possible to switch to A levels? I am asking this as we’re already 3 months into the academic year and I’m unsure of how much work I’d need to catch up on. Do you think I’ll have to see the course out until the end of the year then restart y12 after?

The courses I am thinking of switching to are Psychology, English literature & language (combined) and either drama, music or sports (still undecided).

If I do switch, I will have to switch colleges as my current college is BTEC only.

Thanks for reading :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey, I don't think it should be an issue if you can find a college who'll take you. I moved schools for the start of y12, and we were allowed to move around subjects as much as we liked pretty much until November (so obviously people arriving at a subject late were expected to catch up on the work they'd missed). I also remember a new girl joining from China, who didn't speak English and had never taken any A levels - she joined around December I think?

I didn't enjoy it at that school, and ended up moving back to my old one about a week before the summer exams for both schools were about to take place. My situation's a little different to yours because I had already been studying my A level subjects for a year and was moving back to my other school which offered the same subjects. I fully expected them to make me repeat a year because my old school used a different Physics spec and also taught maths and further maths in a completely different order, but they just told me to learn the new material the best I could and see how I did on the exams. They decided not to make me repeat a year and I'm sitting my A levels in June now :smile:

So yeah, long story short, three months is nothing, even if those three months have been spent not doing A level subjects. You have plenty of time to catch up - if I could learn the whole of AS physics on a different spec in three days, I'm sure you can catch up on only three months of missed work in a year.

Just make sure you have another college lined up for you who are willing to take you on and invest the time to catch you up, and also make sure you are willing to put in the work to catch up on the material you've missed.
Reply 2
Original post by Whizz2244
Hey, I don't think it should be an issue if you can find a college who'll take you. I moved schools for the start of y12, and we were allowed to move around subjects as much as we liked pretty much until November (so obviously people arriving at a subject late were expected to catch up on the work they'd missed). I also remember a new girl joining from China, who didn't speak English and had never taken any A levels - she joined around December I think?

I didn't enjoy it at that school, and ended up moving back to my old one about a week before the summer exams for both schools were about to take place. My situation's a little different to yours because I had already been studying my A level subjects for a year and was moving back to my other school which offered the same subjects. I fully expected them to make me repeat a year because my old school used a different Physics spec and also taught maths and further maths in a completely different order, but they just told me to learn the new material the best I could and see how I did on the exams. They decided not to make me repeat a year and I'm sitting my A levels in June now :smile:

So yeah, long story short, three months is nothing, even if those three months have been spent not doing A level subjects. You have plenty of time to catch up - if I could learn the whole of AS physics on a different spec in three days, I'm sure you can catch up on only three months of missed work in a year.

Just make sure you have another college lined up for you who are willing to take you on and invest the time to catch you up, and also make sure you are willing to put in the work to catch up on the material you've missed.

Tysm for the reply! I was very apprehensive about doing the switch but this cleared up all my doubt and anxieties. Once again thank you :smile:)
do it asap then
Reply 4
update: all of the sixth forms i emailed said it was too late
Original post by trstn
update: all of the sixth forms i emailed said it was too late

become a private candidate for year 12 and join a sixth form in year 13?
Reply 6
Original post by trstn
Hello everyone, I am currently in y12 doing BTEC creative media, however I am really disliking the course and I cannot see myself working within this industry.

I was wondering if it’d be possible to switch to A levels? I am asking this as we’re already 3 months into the academic year and I’m unsure of how much work I’d need to catch up on. Do you think I’ll have to see the course out until the end of the year then restart y12 after?

The courses I am thinking of switching to are Psychology, English literature & language (combined) and either drama, music or sports (still undecided).

If I do switch, I will have to switch colleges as my current college is BTEC only.

Thanks for reading :smile:

As you have already discovered, it is for too late for schools and colleges to take the risk of you being able to catch up on the 3 A levels you have missed. They will be concerned that you will not be able to successfully do it and/or you will be a burden on the teachers who have to help you. If you still think A levels is the right choice for you then applying to start in September and repeat year 12 is probably your best option. It is not an uncommon choice for people to make.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest