The Student Room Group

What’s A-level English literature like in comparison to GCSE & revision tips for it?

I’ve just started Y12 and considering switching one of my current a-level subjects to English lit (exam board AQA). I was just wondering if someone who does/has done a-level lit could tell me a bit about what it’s like and how different it is to GCSE? How much more demanding/complex is it compared to GCSE? Also any revision/study tips for it would be much appreciated. Thank you : )
Reply 1
Original post by user01906002
I’ve just started Y12 and considering switching one of my current a-level subjects to English lit (exam board AQA). I was just wondering if someone who does/has done a-level lit could tell me a bit about what it’s like and how different it is to GCSE? How much more demanding/complex is it compared to GCSE? Also any revision/study tips for it would be much appreciated. Thank you : )

Hi there!
I'm hoping I can answer some of your queries.
Can I ask what exam board you did for GCSE?
In terms of how it differs, obviously the texts are more complex and longer, but I think they are really worthwhile studying. My texts are Othello, Richard II, and The Great Gatsby, Unseen Crime, Crime Poetry, and Atonement. Whereas at GCSE we often looked at a random theme across the text (i.e fate in Romeo and Juliet etc.), with AQA A Level, the texts are rooted in two distinct genres and there are then different aspects/elements in each of the themes for you to explore. (Othello is a tragedy text, one of the aspects of tragedy is "tragic flaw", another is "tragic hero", and "tragic victim" if you get me?). With A Level Lit, you also do two pieces of coursework, one on poetry, one on prose. This is actually part of what sold the course to me and I loved doing it, I got so much out of studying the text completely independently and then creating a question with the help of my teachers.
In terms of demand/complexity of the course, I think it is slightly more complex understanding the question types (there isn't so much structure to be learnt as at GCSE) and the texts are slightly more demanding in terms of working out what is happening. You are supported through this and your teachers will likely understand that there is a step up from GCSE.
I'd say the primary revision focus is understanding the texts and how they work, both alone and in the context of the papers, i.e. what is compared to what, which paper each text is in, then start doing the practice questions you can. Your teachers will likely have a bank of questions that you can study to begin with. Don't expect to be able to write answers that get as good a grade as at the end of year 11 as there is a difference in the way A Level questions are answered, but again, there is support for this.
I think that A Level English Lit is a very worthwhile course which has got so many applications and provides plenty of transferable skills. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them for you!
All the best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by user01906002

Hello! I studied Edexcel English literature and loved it. I don't know much about the AQA exam board for the subject but I can tell you how much different it is compared to GCSEs. First off, there is more workload, teachers won't really spoon-feed you structures for essays, and will expect you to pick up on your writing skills on your own. If you are good at writing with good grammar then the subject will be much easier for you compared to many other students. You should be able to read large amounts of text, and understand how to pick at texts to understand various interpretations.

When revising, I would suggest you understand the text you're studying with various interpretations and have an open mind on how to answer questions about the texts. Mind maps are always amazing, and constantly writing essays in your spare time will also work out well. Always ask questions, and make sure you understand the viewpoints that your classmates have about texts, any viewpoint is a good way to level up your essays. Read, listen, write, read, listen, write. Make jokes about the books you are reading to ensure you actually understand the books you are studying, and learn to enjoy having a different viewpoint from others.

If you end up switching, good luck! I'm sure you'll do well!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by squemily16
Hi there!
I'm hoping I can answer some of your queries.
Can I ask what exam board you did for GCSE?
In terms of how it differs, obviously the texts are more complex and longer, but I think they are really worthwhile studying. My texts are Othello, Richard II, and The Great Gatsby, Unseen Crime, Crime Poetry, and Atonement. Whereas at GCSE we often looked at a random theme across the text (i.e fate in Romeo and Juliet etc.), with AQA A Level, the texts are rooted in two distinct genres and there are then different aspects/elements in each of the themes for you to explore. (Othello is a tragedy text, one of the aspects of tragedy is "tragic flaw", another is "tragic hero", and "tragic victim" if you get me?). With A Level Lit, you also do two pieces of coursework, one on poetry, one on prose. This is actually part of what sold the course to me and I loved doing it, I got so much out of studying the text completely independently and then creating a question with the help of my teachers.
In terms of demand/complexity of the course, I think it is slightly more complex understanding the question types (there isn't so much structure to be learnt as at GCSE) and the texts are slightly more demanding in terms of working out what is happening. You are supported through this and your teachers will likely understand that there is a step up from GCSE.
I'd say the primary revision focus is understanding the texts and how they work, both alone and in the context of the papers, i.e. what is compared to what, which paper each text is in, then start doing the practice questions you can. Your teachers will likely have a bank of questions that you can study to begin with. Don't expect to be able to write answers that get as good a grade as at the end of year 11 as there is a difference in the way A Level questions are answered, but again, there is support for this.
I think that A Level English Lit is a very worthwhile course which has got so many applications and provides plenty of transferable skills. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them for you!
All the best :smile:

Hi I did AQA at GCSE as well. Thank you so much this is super helpful : )
Reply 4
Original post by uptodazai
Hello! I studied Edexcel English literature and loved it. I don't know much about the AQA exam board for the subject but I can tell you how much different it is compared to GCSEs. First off, there is more workload, teachers won't really spoon-feed you structures for essays, and will expect you to pick up on your writing skills on your own. If you are good at writing with good grammar then the subject will be much easier for you compared to many other students. You should be able to read large amounts of text, and understand how to pick at texts to understand various interpretations.

When revising, I would suggest you understand the text you're studying with various interpretations and have an open mind on how to answer questions about the texts. Mind maps are always amazing, and constantly writing essays in your spare time will also work out well. Always ask questions, and make sure you understand the viewpoints that your classmates have about texts, any viewpoint is a good way to level up your essays. Read, listen, write, read, listen, write. Make jokes about the books you are reading to ensure you actually understand the books you are studying, and learn to enjoy having a different viewpoint from others.

If you end up switching, good luck! I'm sure you'll do well!! :smile:

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending