The Student Room Group

Am I one of the very few people out there who doesn't have a smartphone?

Poll

Am I one of the very few people out there who doesn't have a smartphone?

It seems like everywhere I go these days, everyone has a smartphone. Either an iPhone, Android or similar. I've not come across a single person so far who just has a regular mobile phone.

I have a budget mobile phone which is very small in size. It has very basic file storage, it can access the internet although internet pages are virtually unreadable on the screen, it can play some basic tunes, it has a camera although the quality of the image isn't brilliant (although it's not terrible either). It cost me £10 to buy this phone and has served me well for a number of years now.

The main thing is it can call and text, which is all I need my phone for really. Everything else is superfluous and unnecessary in my opinion. And yet everyone else is glued to their smartphones, they can't go 5 minutes without desperately updating their Facebook status or checking Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat.

Back to the original question: Am I one of the very few people out there who doesn't have a smartphone? Poll included.
(edited 5 years ago)
nothing wrong with having a smartphone and wanting to be on your smartphone. while social media addiction does seem like a genuine problem, not having a smartphone does not make you a morally superior person.

- from someone who doesn't have a smartphone
Forgot my smartphone at work, now I realize I do have a bit of addiction to smartphone. Smartphone could be a great tool for GPS navigation, taking photos, using apps like Strava or other fitness apps.. to track your progress. But it does quickly become a distraction if you let it. I think I will get a phone with good battery life for calls and texts so that I can reach people and people can reach me if they need me and switch off my smartphone until i need it.

What annoys me is that you now need Watsup, Skype, hangout, FB messenger... to reach all your friends and relatives. Why can`t we just call and text like it was a few years back!?
I don't even have a phone. I know how it feels when an average student at your school has an iPhone 7 and you don't fit that standard. Don't worry, it'll be ok.
Reply 4
Our poll results say it all... almost as close as Brexit. I can only assume the media comment that over 80% of people have smartphones a lie to shame the 44% who haven't (see poll results) into getting one.
Original post by snowman77
It seems like everywhere I go these days, everyone has a smartphone. Either an iPhone, Android or similar. I've not come across a single person so far who just has a regular mobile phone.

I have a budget mobile phone which is very small in size. It has very basic file storage, it can access the internet although internet pages are virtually unreadable on the screen, it can play some basic tunes, it has a camera although the quality of the image isn't brilliant (although it's not terrible either). It cost me £10 to buy this phone and has served me well for a number of years now.

The main thing is it can call and text, which is all I need my phone for really. Everything else is superfluous and unnecessary in my opinion. And yet everyone else is glued to their smartphones, they can't go 5 minutes without desperately updating their Facebook status or checking Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat.

Back to the original question: Am I one of the very few people out there who doesn't have a smartphone? Poll included.

Not alone man. Back in April I quit having my smartphone. I had a lovely iPhone 7. Worked great, blah blah blah. But I started realising that is was too distracting. I started to feel like I'm becoming one of those awkward people who look into their phones everywhere they go, just to avoid standing in a line for a cup of coffee for 4 minutes or sitting on a bench waiting for friends to come. That's #1 thing I didnt want to become. Better to give up the phone and lose that behaviour - I had my smartphone for only half a year and within that little time I saw how I was using it to avoid awkwardness. I rather feel awkward than run from it.

And not to mention always texting with people and calling, etc.

And it's only very expensive. the phone itself was 700 euros. Monthly payment for internet and phoning was like 20-30(?) I think.

I got probably a ten year old Nokia which my mom used ages ago. Never been happier. I can call, if i really want I can text altho 1 line of text takes 3 min to write lol
Never owned a smartphone, never wanted one.
I have two Nokia 3410s and a 3310 nokia that belonged to my late uncle.
No internet or camera.

Reply 7

I too don't have and certainly don't want a smartphone. I am more than content with my wee flip phone. The main reason I love it is that it doesn't do anything other than text and call - fab! Whilst there's nothing wrong with having a smartphone if you want one, I think it's a sad reflection on society that they almost 'expect' everyone to use a smartphone these days, And discrimination seems rife against us that stick to our guns. I DON'T WANT A SMARTPHONE!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending