The Student Room Group

Eardefenders at uni

So I'm autistic and have sensory processing disorder
During my time at high-school I always wore ear defenders in the corridor as the noise was too overwhelming and too much going on and also sometimes would wear them in lessons when either there was a noise going on, when everyone was talking to partners or just when I was feeling overwhelmed and felt everything was too overwhelming

So I'm going to uni in September and I'll have them in my bag but because it is a lot bigger I was wondering how busy the buildings get and I didn't really think that they ask you to talk in pairs in lectures so don't know if they would be as necessary

Also if you saw someone with ear defenders like on or on the desk would it stop you talking to them in the first weeks sort of thing, I don't get self conscious of them but don't want them to stop me making friends

Before anyone mentions something like noise cancelling headphones I've tried them but they don't work for me and things like loop but I can't stand the sensory aspect of ear plugs
Reply 1
probably varies a bit based on your uni and the building but when at my uni it was never very busy, certainly much less busy than the average high school corridor! the main times there would be a lot of noise is waiting for lectures to start and while everyone is leaving lectures as that’s probably when you’ve got the most people talking to eachother all at once. Very rarely was I asked to have a paired discussion in a lecture (a few lecturers did this but most didn’t). That kind of thing was more common in labs/classes/tutorials with smaller groups of people. Seeing someone with ear defenders on or on their desk wouldn’t put me off making friends with them at all. If people are confused I think if you briefly explained why you wear them most people would understand!
Reply 2
Original post by eeeli
probably varies a bit based on your uni and the building but when at my uni it was never very busy, certainly much less busy than the average high school corridor! the main times there would be a lot of noise is waiting for lectures to start and while everyone is leaving lectures as that’s probably when you’ve got the most people talking to eachother all at once. Very rarely was I asked to have a paired discussion in a lecture (a few lecturers did this but most didn’t). That kind of thing was more common in labs/classes/tutorials with smaller groups of people. Seeing someone with ear defenders on or on their desk wouldn’t put me off making friends with them at all. If people are confused I think if you briefly explained why you wear them most people would understand!

Thanks
That's really useful information
Original post by Jess_Lomas
So I'm autistic and have sensory processing disorder
During my time at high-school I always wore ear defenders in the corridor as the noise was too overwhelming and too much going on and also sometimes would wear them in lessons when either there was a noise going on, when everyone was talking to partners or just when I was feeling overwhelmed and felt everything was too overwhelming

So I'm going to uni in September and I'll have them in my bag but because it is a lot bigger I was wondering how busy the buildings get and I didn't really think that they ask you to talk in pairs in lectures so don't know if they would be as necessary

Also if you saw someone with ear defenders like on or on the desk would it stop you talking to them in the first weeks sort of thing, I don't get self conscious of them but don't want them to stop me making friends

Before anyone mentions something like noise cancelling headphones I've tried them but they don't work for me and things like loop but I can't stand the sensory aspect of ear plugs

Wearing them at the end of a lecture when things can get a bit noisy, or in the corridor would be perfectly fine. What subject however, labs can be pretty noisy, but being able to hear instructions is essential, as is any safety critical information( stop, run, fire ! etc). For that reason headphones are generally forbidden in labs, though a well justified medical exemption might be possible. One to discuss with your personal tutor or a disability support officer ASAP.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Wearing them at the end of a lecture when things can get a bit noisy, or in the corridor would be perfectly fine. What subject however, labs can be pretty noisy, but being able to hear instructions is essential, as is any safety critical information( stop, run, fire ! etc). For that reason headphones are generally forbidden in labs, though a well justified medical exemption might be possible. One to discuss with your personal tutor or a disability support officer ASAP.

Hi,
I'm doing biochemistry so I will be in labs
I've had a meeting with the disability advisor and have been given permission for ear defenders in labs as well as a lab assistant for other things which would tell me if there's anything important

Thanks for the advice though it wouldn't have been very good if I hadn't sorted that out
With the annocuments I would still be able to hear them as I can hear lectures fine they just help reduce certain sounds
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi,
I'm doing biochemistry so I will be in labs
I've had a meeting with the disability advisor and have been given permission for ear defenders in labs as well as a lab assistant for other things which would tell me if there's anything important

Thanks for the advice though it wouldn't have been very good if I hadn't sorted that out
With the annocuments I would still be able to hear them as I can hear lectures fine they just help reduce certain sounds

Ok, sounds like you are getting some useful support lined up. If you are wearing them in lectures best to ask disabilities support to let your lectures know as they might otherwise take offence if they don't know you have a medical reason for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending