The Student Room Group

Job

What is it like working at explore learning as a tutor?
Reply 1
Hi
I’m currently working at explore and I honestly think it’s a really decent part time job. The hours are flexible (minimum 6 hours), and because it’s only afternoons/evenings and weekends it’s really easy to fit them around study. The majority of tutors are sixth form/ university age, with the managers older. Im not sure how far you are in the application but it’s quite simple and they get back to you really soon which is great. In terms of the work itself, I’d say its quite easy compared to other part time jobs, but the nature of the job means you have to be confident and extroverted, especially if the children are more shy. You also need to be super patient with them, and it can be quite difficult explaining complex ideas to kids, and managing their behaviours. Responsibilities include: behaviour management, cleaning (spraying desk etc), feedback to children and sometimes parents, and really just being there to answer any questions, explain topics and keep them focused. I definitely enjoy it as a job, but there’s a lot of training (+ safeguarding checks etc), and some of my friends get higher pay in retail/ restaurants.
Overall, really nice company to work for, as the works easy and theyre well-equipped for young people working for them, also since you can do it online or in person it can suit most people.
Hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything else you’re not sure about.
Reply 2
Original post by charves14
Hi
I’m currently working at explore and I honestly think it’s a really decent part time job. The hours are flexible (minimum 6 hours), and because it’s only afternoons/evenings and weekends it’s really easy to fit them around study. The majority of tutors are sixth form/ university age, with the managers older. Im not sure how far you are in the application but it’s quite simple and they get back to you really soon which is great. In terms of the work itself, I’d say its quite easy compared to other part time jobs, but the nature of the job means you have to be confident and extroverted, especially if the children are more shy. You also need to be super patient with them, and it can be quite difficult explaining complex ideas to kids, and managing their behaviours. Responsibilities include: behaviour management, cleaning (spraying desk etc), feedback to children and sometimes parents, and really just being there to answer any questions, explain topics and keep them focused. I definitely enjoy it as a job, but there’s a lot of training (+ safeguarding checks etc), and some of my friends get higher pay in retail/ restaurants.
Overall, really nice company to work for, as the works easy and theyre well-equipped for young people working for them, also since you can do it online or in person it can suit most people.
Hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything else you’re not sure about.

Hi
Thank you for replying
Just a couple of questions
Any advice for the interview process
I’m on the pre recorded interview stage now
How strict are they on days off, to revise for example?
Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by bstnasnl123
Hi
Thank you for replying
Just a couple of questions
Any advice for the interview process
I’m on the pre recorded interview stage now
How strict are they on days off, to revise for example?
Thank you

the pre recorded stage is quite easy, you do the link then have 30 secs to see the question before it started recording, I found it a lot easier to select the option where you hide your screen so I didn’t get distracted by how I looked. It’s 3 questions about how you’d tutor, and really it’s just checking 1. If you can effectively communicate and 2. That you can learn how to explain stuff well.
The second stage is an actual interview, I did mine over teams but I think it can be in person too, it was really simple and the woman was super friendly so not scary, she asked questions like how you’d react to certain situations in the classroom then questions about your availability, if you want to do online or in centre etc. I got a job offer during the interview, but I’m not sure if it’s the same for everyone. The centre I applied for only had shifts which I couldn’t work available, so I waited about a month on the database before I was rung asking when I could work and getting me started.
They can be quite strict on time off. To be guaranteed time off you have to request it 4 weeks before the date, and if it’s past that point you can only get time off if someone else is available to cover your shift. This meant I had to work before a few of my mocks which wasn’t the best situation, but if you’re organised it shouldn’t be an issue. But, since there’s a lot of people in exam years working they are quite understanding, like I had to come in late for a shift once bc of a mock and they were fine with that. Also it’s good to keep in mind that most people work 2 days a week, so there’s plenty of time to fit around revision.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by charves14
the pre recorded stage is quite easy, you do the link then have 30 secs to see the question before it started recording, I found it a lot easier to select the option where you hide your screen so I didn’t get distracted by how I looked. It’s 3 questions about how you’d tutor, and really it’s just checking 1. If you can effectively communicate and 2. That you can learn how to explain stuff well.
The second stage is an actual interview, I did mine over teams but I think it can be in person too, it was really simple and the woman was super friendly so not scary, she asked questions like how you’d react to certain situations in the classroom then questions about your availability, if you want to do online or in centre etc. I got a job offer during the interview, but I’m not sure if it’s the same for everyone. The centre I applied for only had shifts which I couldn’t work available, so I waited about a month on the database before I was rung asking when I could work and getting me started.
They can be quite strict on time off. To be guaranteed time off you have to request it 4 weeks before the date, and if it’s past that point you can only get time off if someone else is available to cover your shift. This meant I had to work before a few of my mocks which wasn’t the best situation, but if you’re organised it shouldn’t be an issue. But, since there’s a lot of people in exam years working they are quite understanding, like I had to come in late for a shift once bc of a mock and they were fine with that. Also it’s good to keep in mind that most people work 2 days a week, so there’s plenty of time to fit around revision.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Hi
Thank you once again
I finished my pre recorded interview
How long did it take for them to get back to you?
Reply 5
Original post by bstnasnl123
Hi
Thank you once again
I finished my pre recorded interview
How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I heard back in under a week, but I think it depends for each person, then it was like 2 weeks before the zoom interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending