The Student Room Group

part time job

I found a job after looking for over a month and did my first trial shift a week ago, and they offered me the job. however, the pay is ridiculously low (£5 an hour), the work is stressful and the shifts are long and inconveniently timed (6 hours in the evening) and I just did not enjoy the work. My family thinks I should accept because I don't have a job and could do with experience but I'm unsure if its the right move. Any advice?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by roh73
I found a job after looking for over a month and did my first trial shift a week ago, and they offered me the job. however, the pay is ridiculously low (£5 an hour), the work is stressful and the shifts are long and inconveniently timed (6 hours in the evening). My family thinks I should accept because I don't have a job and could do with experience but I'm unsure if its the right move. Any advice?

depends how old you are and where your at. with me back when I was In year 10 and 11 I was looking for a job constantly but with no luck. so I just worked on getting experience and did allot of charity work/volunteering. I also did work experience in hospitals and GPs cause I wanted to apply to med and now ive got all that experience it definitely has helped. in yr 13 I got a job as an online tutor, the pay was alright (7.90 hr) but now ive got better job as a patient services assistant and ill earn around £11 hr which is good for me as a gap year student

so basically what im tryna say is get experience and work yourself up
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by roh73
I found a job after looking for over a month and did my first trial shift a week ago, and they offered me the job. however, the pay is ridiculously low (£5 an hour), the work is stressful and the shifts are long and inconveniently timed (6 hours in the evening) and I just did not enjoy the work. My family thinks I should accept because I don't have a job and could do with experience but I'm unsure if its the right move. Any advice?

I agree with what person in post #2 saying about it.

Take the job for time being and gain some sort of experience and then you could always apply for another job elsewhere like in retaining who are offering new staff a minimum of £10.50p per hour for 16 and above but always check with any employer what is the pay per hour. ( Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury's pay all the staff at the same rate regardless of age).
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Personally I would show a bit of work ethic and go for it, or alternatively put effort in to finding something more enjoyable and better paid
Original post by roh73

Take the job for the time being. It might not be the best job, but a job is a job until you find something better.
Do that job, then in the meantime keep a look out for any other jobs that are worth applying for. Once you find something better, you can keep this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending