The Student Room Group

Not sure what job opportunities to take

Hi! For context, I'm 18, I finished my A levels (English lit, history and psych) in June and I did pretty well, and I'm taking a few years off until I apply for uni. I want to save up a bit of money ready for uni, but I also want to figure out what exactly I want to do at uni.

I had an interview today for a shop that pays £11 per hour, which is the only reason I really applied. It's a health and wellness retailer and I'm not actually that interested in nor knowledgeable about that. I should be hearing back about it in the next few days.

On Monday, I have an interview for a service job at a National Trust site I live near. It's good pay and I wouldn't have to spend money on the bus.

I'm getting my first payment of UC soon, and I've been going to the job centre every week to meet with a work coach. I had my meeting on Wednesday, when my work coach suggested I apply for an unqualified early years practitioner vacancy. I applied partially because you're supposed to do what the job centre asks, but the more I think about it the more it sounds actually interesting. I've always thought about working in education, but I've never really thought about early years and I think it could be a good opportunity to figure out if I'm interested in doing something related to education at uni. The pay wouldn't be that high and I'd have to go to somewhere I'm not that familiar with but I don't think I would mind that much if it means getting some experience doing something I view as more meaningful than retail or service.

But, I would only be interviewing for and then offered the job after both of these other jobs.

I'm worried that I could get either of those other jobs and that I'll lose out on the opportunity to do something actually meaningful that relates more to what I want to do in the future. Perhaps I'll be unsuccessful in getting either of the first two jobs and I'll be worrying about nothing. But, I wouldn't want to turn down either of those opportunities in case I don't get the early years one either. And, turning down any job seems like it'd be awkward, but then again I'm a bit of an overthinker.

So, I'm not really sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by mx-person
Hi! For context, I'm 18, I finished my A levels (English lit, history and psych) in June and I did pretty well, and I'm taking a few years off until I apply for uni. I want to save up a bit of money ready for uni, but I also want to figure out what exactly I want to do at uni.

I had an interview today for a shop that pays £11 per hour, which is the only reason I really applied. It's a health and wellness retailer and I'm not actually that interested in nor knowledgeable about that. I should be hearing back about it in the next few days.

On Monday, I have an interview for a service job at a National Trust site I live near. It's good pay and I wouldn't have to spend money on the bus.

I'm getting my first payment of UC soon, and I've been going to the job centre every week to meet with a work coach. I had my meeting on Wednesday, when my work coach suggested I apply for an unqualified early years practitioner vacancy. I applied partially because you're supposed to do what the job centre asks, but the more I think about it the more it sounds actually interesting. I've always thought about working in education, but I've never really thought about early years and I think it could be a good opportunity to figure out if I'm interested in doing something related to education at uni. The pay wouldn't be that high and I'd have to go to somewhere I'm not that familiar with but I don't think I would mind that much if it means getting some experience doing something I view as more meaningful than retail or service.

But, I would only be interviewing for and then offered the job after both of these other jobs.

I'm worried that I could get either of those other jobs and that I'll lose out on the opportunity to do something actually meaningful that relates more to what I want to do in the future. Perhaps I'll be unsuccessful in getting either of the first two jobs and I'll be worrying about nothing. But, I wouldn't want to turn down either of those opportunities in case I don't get the early years one either. And, turning down any job seems like it'd be awkward, but then again I'm a bit of an overthinker.

So, I'm not really sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi @mx-person

I'm an overthinker too, so you're not alone!
All of these jobs sound like they have something to offer you, but the early years job has definitely caught your interest.

If you're successful with the other jobs but are still wanting to see about the early years job, you could always ask the employer if you could have some time to think about the role. Obviously you don't want to seem disinterested in the job they've offered you by asking if you can think about it, but your job is as much about you finding the right employer as it is for them to find the right employee.

I'd also say that if you did turn down any or all of the above jobs, the there will be other jobs out there, it's just a case of reapplying again, that's all.

I also understand that not everyone has the luxury of choosing their job if they're in need of work, but if you do get the opportunity to choose, make sure you pick the one that feels right for you. In your case, the early years job seems to have sparked your interest, so go for it!

Best of luck with the job hunt!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending