The Student Room Group

A-Level Graphics remark?

Hey there, I just received my results and I am very shocked.

I did A-Level Graphic Communication (AQA) and received a C. 59%

This confuses me so much because I also did A-Level Photography (Eduqas) and received a grade B and received 87% (2 marks from an A) which I am content with and I believe is the right mark.

In my opinion, my Photography work was sightly worse than my graphics in my opinion and I was expecting an A/A* since the grade boundaries are lower (77% for an A and 83% for an A*)

I requested to see a mark break down but I'm disappointed. I did get into my firm but definitely do not deserve a C.

Unfortunately I did not receive my marks before results day so I have no idea if my class got moderated or not.

Is AQA strict when it comes to moderation? Any advice?
Original post by Aceful
Hey there, I just received my results and I am very shocked.

I did A-Level Graphic Communication (AQA) and received a C. 59%

This confuses me so much because I also did A-Level Photography (Eduqas) and received a grade B and received 87% (2 marks from an A) which I am content with and I believe is the right mark.

In my opinion, my Photography work was sightly worse than my graphics in my opinion and I was expecting an A/A* since the grade boundaries are lower (77% for an A and 83% for an A*)

I requested to see a mark break down but I'm disappointed. I did get into my firm but definitely do not deserve a C.

Unfortunately I did not receive my marks before results day so I have no idea if my class got moderated or not.

Is AQA strict when it comes to moderation? Any advice?

Hi there :hugs:

First of all, huge congrats in getting into your firm uni! That's so exciting and I am sure you are going to have a fab one at University :woo:

With the grades I would definitely get in touch with your school and your Photography teacher. Ask for some advice/info on this and they will be able to advise on if it was moderated etc.

I would only appeal/remark if the school/teacher thinks it will benefit your Uni application but best to chat with them :smile:

Best wishes,
Cheese
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there :hugs:

First of all, huge congrats in getting into your firm uni! That's so exciting and I am sure you are going to have a fab one at University :woo:

With the grades I would definitely get in touch with your school and your Photography teacher. Ask for some advice/info on this and they will be able to advise on if it was moderated etc.

I would only appeal/remark if the school/teacher thinks it will benefit your Uni application but best to chat with them :smile:

Best wishes,
Cheese

Thanks for the response.

Wish my college did an in-person results day because I have emailed the exams team about this (around 8:30) and have not had a response since.

My photography/graphics teacher is abroad so I don't think he will be of much help but I'll try.

Since I got into uni, technically I don't need to appeal but I want to because of my pride. Would this be taken as seriously even without a university place on the line?
Original post by Aceful
Thanks for the response.

Wish my college did an in-person results day because I have emailed the exams team about this (around 8:30) and have not had a response since.

My photography/graphics teacher is abroad so I don't think he will be of much help but I'll try.

Since I got into uni, technically I don't need to appeal but I want to because of my pride. Would this be taken as seriously even without a university place on the line?

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most marks stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school.

Finally, it might be worth requesting a copy of their paper first. Schools can do this.

Quick Reply

Latest