The Student Room Group

can i become student ambassador even if im a fresher entering this september?

title
Original post by Anonymous
title

Hey there !
It depends on your university. At Hallam the student ambassadors are from every year of study so even freshers get a chance to share their experience and help other prospective students. Keep an eye out on jobs boards and your university's jobs platforms as I'm sure they'll say what years of study they're accepting but at Hallam all years are welcome.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there !
It depends on your university. At Hallam the student ambassadors are from every year of study so even freshers get a chance to share their experience and help other prospective students. Keep an eye out on jobs boards and your university's jobs platforms as I'm sure they'll say what years of study they're accepting but at Hallam all years are welcome.

Hope this helped!

thanks, it doesnt say anything about which years of study are allowed so i assume its all of them. but ive heard these jobs are very compettiive and im not very social so i dont know how i ever get hold a job like that. i want to apply but im not sure how the application works.
title

Hi!

I joined Heriot's student ambassador team in my first year! Honestly, it's really fun. For me, the process to apply was to write a couple of paragraphs about why I would be a good fit then (because I got through that round) I did a teams interview with the lovely people that manage us all. The team's call was quite informal which was nice and I just expressed why I wanted to be a part of the team and what I thought I could bring to the role.

It's okay if you're not that social as long as you're willing to push yourself and get out there! My first event was quite scary because I felt a little nervous about going around and speaking to so many new people but you really just get into it and after a little bit I overcame that. I really think this is a great role to go for if you want to become better at public speaking / speaking to new people.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any.

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
title

Hi,

I became a student ambassador in my first year of university. It was a great way to learn more about my school (School of Psychology) and meet new people. I had a short form to fill out and an interview for mine. You can usually be an ambassador for the university, to help out with things like campus tours. The open days and roles become easier with time and you know sort of what to expect.

Which course will you be studying? How are you feeling about it?

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Reps
title

Hi,

I am a social student ambassador for my university so I help answer any prospective students questions and was able to join in my first year, the applications opened around the end of September and start of October. The application just required you to fill out answers to questions that may be asked by prospective students.

I would look into seeing if your university has this opportunity whether its working on The Student Room or if they are in affiliation with The Ambassador Platform as that is how I complete my job and could be useful if you are implying you are not the most sociable person.

I also do help out on open days for my department so I would say if you are unable to be a general student ambassador you could look into helping out for your department instead as I found this helped to improve my confidence and was a bit easier as it was about something I was able to comfortable answer as it would be focused on my degree or the department as a whole.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
title

I think it will depend on the uni, usually they only have a few intakes a year so it's worth registering your interest early on. I joined in first year by signing up at the Freshers Fayre during Welcome Week.
thanks, it doesnt say anything about which years of study are allowed so i assume its all of them. but ive heard these jobs are very compettiive and im not very social so i dont know how i ever get hold a job like that. i want to apply but im not sure how the application works.

Hey there!

I'm not sure how other universities run things but for my application which was specific to helping students on The Student Room, I sent in my CV and a cover letter, waited for a response and then once I'd gotten through to the next round they gave me some fake scenarios and questions I might get asked on the forum or that someone else might ask and I had to respond to what I would say in those situations. It was a great way to practise for the real thing but also let them know if I was up to the task or not. There was three rounds and the third round I had a zoom call with the team and introduced myself and we went from there! It's such a rewarding job and if you get your application in you won't regret it!

Hope this helped!
title

Hey!
It is definitely possible.
I knew a few first years who were working as student ambassadors and i asked them how they had landed the job. I was told that during the final process of applying and coming into university they had found student ambassador application on an email that was sent to them.
I would suggest you keep an eye out for such emails from the university, otherwise you can always approach a member of staff at the welcome centre (or likewise at your university) and ask them how you can become a part of the team.
I hope this helps :smile:
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
title

Hi!
It will depend on your university but in my experience this is absolutely what I did. At the freshers fair at YSJ they were handing out applications.
Hope this is helpful! Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending