The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Hello from the University of Strathclyde Offical Rep

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say Hello and introduce the brand new University of Strathclyde official rep account! We have just recently set up our official account, so I will be trying my best to answer any questions posted here in our forum.

I am a member of our Student Recruitment team and happy to answer questions on our courses, accommodation, facilities, or Glasgow in general - so please feel free to ask anything you please and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I look forward to chatting with some of you very soon :smile:

Sarah

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey good to see you here.
I have received an unconditional offer to study a MSc in civil engineering at Strathclyde next september on Chevening scholarship. I would be interested to visit and explore some research opportunities in the Technology & Innovation Center (TIC). Are there some interesting research in the civil engineering ongoing there? Can you advise me which lecturer or professor I could get in touch with to know more.
Thank you!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by tresor
Hey good to see you here.
I have received an unconditional offer to study a MSc in civil engineering at Strathclyde next september on Chevening scholarship. I would be interested to visit and explore some research opportunities in the Technology & Innovation Center (TIC). Are there some interesting research in the civil engineering ongoing there? Can you advise me which lecturer or professor I could get in touch with to know more.
Thank you!

Hi there - good to hear from you and congratulations on the unconditional offer :biggrin: We have a range of research opportunities available within Civil Engineering. I will direct message you with the course director's details if you want to get in contact with him. I am also happy to put you in contact with a member our our International recruitment team if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Sarah
Reply 3
Hi there,

I've received an unconditional offer and was hoping you could give me some info on accommodation.
I've read that most international students are put in Birkbeck- I'm international but staying for the full 4 years, does this mean I could be housed with people who are only staying for 1/2 semesters and not in first year?

Also, I've heard that James Blyth accommodation is getting done up, is that true?

Thanks for your help!
Original post by LaoiseM
Hi there,

I've received an unconditional offer and was hoping you could give me some info on accommodation.
I've read that most international students are put in Birkbeck- I'm international but staying for the full 4 years, does this mean I could be housed with people who are only staying for 1/2 semesters and not in first year?

Also, I've heard that James Blyth accommodation is getting done up, is that true?

Thanks for your help!

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you I have been out of the office. Firstly congratulations on your offer! What country are you joining us from? I am happy to hear you are coming to study with us at Strathclyde.

Yes that's true that many of our exchange students do stay in Birkbeck, and those particular students would only be there for 1/2 semesters, however lots of other International students who are with us for the full 4/5 year degree will also be staying there, so it is unlikely that everyone in your flat/apartment would only be there for a short period of time. Birkbeck is also our largest student residence, so there will be plenty of opportunity to meet people and make friends. All of our student residences also have a "Halls Committee" who organise social events and get togethers, which can be another great way to meet new people also living on campus.

Yes that is correct that James Blyth accommodation will be out of commission next year so unfortunately that will be unavailable.

I hope this helps a little. Do you have other questions about studying with us or Glasgow in general that I could help with?

Sarah
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you I have been out of the office. Firstly congratulations on your offer! What country are you joining us from? I am happy to hear you are coming to study with us at Strathclyde.

Yes that's true that many of our exchange students do stay in Birkbeck, and those particular students would only be there for 1/2 semesters, however lots of other International students who are with us for the full 4/5 year degree will also be staying there, so it is unlikely that everyone in your flat/apartment would only be there for a short period of time. Birkbeck is also our largest student residence, so there will be plenty of opportunity to meet people and make friends. All of our student residences also have a "Halls Committee" who organise social events and get togethers, which can be another great way to meet new people also living on campus.

Yes that is correct that James Blyth accommodation will be out of commission next year so unfortunately that will be unavailable.

I hope this helps a little. Do you have other questions about studying with us or Glasgow in general that I could help with?

Sarah

Hi @LaoiseM

Have you managed to sort accommodation out for coming to Strathclyde in September?

If you have any other questions then let me know!

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say Hello and introduce the brand new University of Strathclyde official rep account! We have just recently set up our official account, so I will be trying my best to answer any questions posted here in our forum.

I am a member of our Student Recruitment team and happy to answer questions on our courses, accommodation, facilities, or Glasgow in general - so please feel free to ask anything you please and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I look forward to chatting with some of you very soon :smile:

Sarah

Hi this is Rupinder. I have been accepted into Ph.D in Pharmacy in University of Strathclyde and my session is October 2018. Can you please tell me how many hours of part time work does the university allow to international students? Does online paid work like content writing, online tutoring also come under visa regulations? Also, when will the doctoral scholarships for October 2018 session become available, specially, in Faculty of Science? I would be grateful if you can guide me regarding this.
Hi Rupinder,

International students are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week in a part-time job during term time. However, you can work full time over the summer should you wish to stay in Glasgow during this time. More details can be found on the university website:
https://www.strath.ac.uk/professionalservices/careers/workexp/adviceforinternationalstudentswhowanttoworkintheuk/

The type of work you will be able to do can be found on the following website:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Working/What-kind-of-work-can-you-do

Our list of scholarships available to Science students can be found here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/scholarships/sciencescholarships/
Some of the deadlines have passed, however there are still a few scholarships available but you need to apply for these by the 31st August, 3rd September and 17th September at the very latest.

Hope this helps- any other questions then let me know!

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi Rupinder,

International students are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week in a part-time job during term time. However, you can work full time over the summer should you wish to stay in Glasgow during this time. More details can be found on the university website:
https://www.strath.ac.uk/professionalservices/careers/workexp/adviceforinternationalstudentswhowanttoworkintheuk/

The type of work you will be able to do can be found on the following website:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Working/What-kind-of-work-can-you-do

Our list of scholarships available to Science students can be found here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/scholarships/sciencescholarships/
Some of the deadlines have passed, however there are still a few scholarships available but you need to apply for these by the 31st August, 3rd September and 17th September at the very latest.

Hope this helps- any other questions then let me know!

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so much for your help. I want to ask does online work also come under this 20 hour window? Supposedly, I enroll into online paid work like content writing where for every article I write, I receive X GBP. Will that work also count?
Original post by Rupinder dhamoon
Thank you so much for your help. I want to ask does online work also come under this 20 hour window? Supposedly, I enroll into online paid work like content writing where for every article I write, I receive X GBP. Will that work also count?

Hi @Rupinder dhamoon online work would not be included within this 20 hour working period. Content writing would also not count as part-time work as you are undertaking this in your free time. Can I help you with anything else at all?

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Reply 10
Hello,

Once our place has been confirmed when should we receive an email about online registration (PEGASUS)?
Hi @snappy

You should receive an email shortly after your place has been confirmed at the university. If you still haven't received any information about registering then email registration on: [email protected]
Alternatively you can call them on 0141 548 3165.

If you have any other questions then feel free to get in touch or PM me

Hope this helps- good luck

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Reply 12
Hello. I wanted to know how much the average students spend on textbooks every year. Thank you.
hello when is the induction timetable going to be sent? Will it be at the same time as the class timetable?
Reply 14
Hi Panda567 do you mean your class inductions or freshers week info? Induction activities are usually in welcome/freshers week now depending on your course - their are inauguration events for each faculty with the principal too
I was wondering about class induction
Reply 16
High level Timetables for most classes are on Pegasus just now and then you’ll get personalised timetables in the Strathclyde APP from 3rd September - have you got the APP yet?
I have got the app but it says the timeable is not out yet. Also do you possibly when I will find out about my class code?
Reply 18
have your registered and picked your choices- the code should be on Pegasus if you have? Yeah -from the 3rd it’ll be out on the app - induction/welcome week is the 10th - with official start of term the 17th - each department has a timetabling person so you can always email and they’ll put you on to them - I’d wait until the 3rd though. Freshers events are all in the app and your myplace class messages too - you won’t have much to see yet as it’s still early 😉
Reply 19
It’ll be there on the 3rd with class code- class codes also on Pegasus and Myplace once you’ve registered. Freshers events and myplace notices all in the app - won’t be much til next week as it’s still early 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending