The Student Room Group

Career prospects with a chemistry degree?

Originally, I applied for chemistry at university, and I now have an unconditional offer to study chemistry at Warwick. However, over the summer I've become very interested in trading and finance/banking and have become serious about choosing it as my likely career.

I still do enjoy chemistry, but I honestly can't see myself doing a research job in the future. I was just interested in the difference in likelihood it is to break into banking with a degree in chemistry compared to if I were to take a gap year and apply for a degree in maths/economics instead?
Original post by arya839
Originally, I applied for chemistry at university, and I now have an unconditional offer to study chemistry at Warwick. However, over the summer I've become very interested in trading and finance/banking and have become serious about choosing it as my likely career.

I still do enjoy chemistry, but I honestly can't see myself doing a research job in the future. I was just interested in the difference in likelihood it is to break into banking with a degree in chemistry compared to if I were to take a gap year and apply for a degree in maths/economics instead?

I’m pretty sure you can go into the finance sector with practically any degree. Strangely enough, chemistry graduates often do go into the finance sector, so if you would enjoy a chemistry degree, it’s well worth taking up the offer anyway.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending