The Student Room Group

Re sitting A levels 2023

Messed up my A levels
B - Psychology
D - Maths
D - History
I am 7 points off a C for History over 2 papers so have sent off for a re mark

I needed BBC (lowered grade boundaries) for the Accountancy Business & Finance flying start degree at Newcastle Uni

PwC said if I missed out on 1 grade & was willing to resit they would still accept me (hence the long shot of getting my paper re marked)

I have contacted Newcastle and asked them
If I resat History & Maths (as I suffered with depression which affected my studies) and my Dad was diagnosed with cancer during my exams, would they accept me next year. I’m awaiting their response.

I have been awarded my insurance place at Manchester Metropolitan - however my Ucas points wouldn’t be enough for me to be accepted at one of ‘the big 4’ on a graduate scheme.

So if PwC won’t accept me with retakes, should I retake my 2 A levels and apply afresh next year or should I just lick my wounds and go to Manchester Met?

So disappointed!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Jamjar67
Messed up my A levels
B - Psychology
D - Maths
D - History
I am 7 points off a C for History over 2 papers so have sent off for a re mark

I needed BBC (lowered grade boundaries) for the Accountancy Business & Finance flying start degree at Newcastle Uni

PwC said if I missed out on 1 grade & was willing to resit they would still accept me (hence the long shot of getting my paper re marked)

I have contacted Newcastle and asked them
If I resat History & Maths (as I suffered with depression which affected my studies) and my Dad was diagnosed with cancer during my exams, would they accept me next year. I’m awaiting their response.

I have been awarded my insurance place at Manchester Metropolitan - however my Ucas points wouldn’t be enough for me to be accepted at one of ‘the big 4’ on a graduate scheme.

So if PwC won’t accept me with retakes, should I retake my 2 A levels and apply afresh next year or should I just lick my wounds and go to Manchester Met?

So disappointed!

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. You can ask for a copy of your papers for free and then figure out if you want to go down the remark path
Reply 2
I’ve sent off for a remark on 2 papers as I feel I’ve got nothing to lose now :-(
My college doesn’t offer help with retaking a year and all the 1 yr intensive A level retake courses seem to be in London or the south.
If I do the Accounting & Finance degree at Manchester Met, even if I get a 1st or a 2:1 I won’t be able to get in ‘The Big 4’ ie PwC, KPMG etc as my Alevel UCAS will be too low….
I know 7 marks is alot to hope for but I just felt I’d done really well in one of the papers and I knew I’d waffled in the other but I got the same score for both papers!
I think I need to know what went wrong…
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest