The Student Room Group

Medicine help :(

Hi I have just left sixth form after results day amd unfortunately got A*AB (B in chemistry) and A* in EPQ after being predicted A for chem and im devastated. I had already had 4 rejections this year and was planning on reapplying after a gap year. would it be better to do biomed and go into GEM or resit my alevel chemistry. Is there any way i can get in with these grades as I do have a contextual flag due to being from a disadvantaged background. Or should i do optometry instead? are there any other high paying science careers? i feel like ive messed up on my dreams and its eating me up :frown: please can someone give me some advice and direction. thank you
Hey I missed my medicine offer because of 2 marks. 2. Marks. Devastated. In disbelief. I am gonna reapply because the likelihood of actually doing med after another course or even getting on grad is very unlikely. Would I prefer to ‘waste’ a year or 3-4 years.. 1. It’ll go quick I’m praying :/ I’ll be occupied with ucat, resitting chem etc
Reply 2
Original post by Mickjagger
Hey I missed my medicine offer because of 2 marks. 2. Marks. Devastated. In disbelief. I am gonna reapply because the likelihood of actually doing med after another course or even getting on grad is very unlikely. Would I prefer to ‘waste’ a year or 3-4 years.. 1. It’ll go quick I’m praying :/ I’ll be occupied with ucat, resitting chem etc

It makes me feel better that someone else is in the same boat. i truly dont know what to do at all. if i resit chem do i have to wait until i get those results to reapply? if so ive practically wasted two years at that point and would have to cancel my ucat this september.
I don’t think so, I think you explain that you’re reapplying, we reapply at the same time as everyone applying normally. My UCAT has just been booked. Tbh I am dissociating my way through this I don’t think I’ll ever recover
Original post by yukariluvr
Hi I have just left sixth form after results day amd unfortunately got A*AB (B in chemistry) and A* in EPQ after being predicted A for chem and im devastated. I had already had 4 rejections this year and was planning on reapplying after a gap year. would it be better to do biomed and go into GEM or resit my alevel chemistry. Is there any way i can get in with these grades as I do have a contextual flag due to being from a disadvantaged background. Or should i do optometry instead? are there any other high paying science careers? i feel like ive messed up on my dreams and its eating me up :frown: please can someone give me some advice and direction. thank you

what contextual flags do you have? for example being POLAR quintile 1/2 will make you contextual at a lot of unis, which means you can apply with AAB to ABB or even BBB at Newcastle for PARTNERS. also, a couple of unis accept AAB with A* EPQ regardless of contextual. do not do a degree with the intention of GEM as it is way more competitive.
Reply 5
Original post by yukariluvr
It makes me feel better that someone else is in the same boat. i truly dont know what to do at all. if i resit chem do i have to wait until i get those results to reapply? if so ive practically wasted two years at that point and would have to cancel my ucat this september.

You apply at the same time as normal, with your current grades listed as well as any resits down as "pending" (so you'd have 2 chemistry A levels listed, one with this summer's date and grade, and one pending with next summer's date). Whoever is writing your reference can then give a predicted grade for your resit.

Make sure you check each med school's view of resits, particularly any criteria for your first set of grades (e.g. SGUL say "We do not accept resits which require a third year of study", whereas Nottingham say "We’ll also consider resits for no more than two A levels as long as you: have completed your A levels in the last 12 months, have already obtained at least ABB with at least one A in biology/human biology or chemistry, must achieve AAA after taking your resits", which you potentially meet if biology was your A or A*.)

It's always difficult when things don't go to plan, but you've still achieved an excellent set of grades, so take a deep breath and then start researching your options. Medicine is a competitive application process, and it's definitely not unusual to take a few attempts on the way to getting there! As noted by the other reply GEM is very competitive and an expensive route, so trying again for undergrad med is a good option.

It sounds like you would be able to meet the grades for standard 5 year courses after resits, but since you say you meet some contextual flags it could be worth looking at foundation year courses too as part of your research (e.g. https://le.ac.uk/courses/medicine-with-foundation-year-mbchb/2023). They tend to need you to meet multiple criteria, but still worth a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending