The Student Room Group

i dont like drinking or going out to clubs/parties, will i miss out ?

so i dont really like drinking nor do i enjoy going out to places that are filled with people getring drunk and partying ect . do you think ill be missing out ? i like going out just not to alcohol based places , although i know this is a big part of uni and freshers
Reply 1
No.
Original post by iuvyuta
so i dont really like drinking nor do i enjoy going out to places that are filled with people getring drunk and partying ect . do you think ill be missing out ? i like going out just not to alcohol based places , although i know this is a big part of uni and freshers

Hi!

From my experience, you won't miss out at all! I found that during freshers there were always events going on that didn't include alcohol or going out. During my fresher's week, they held arts and crafts evenings, board game nights and film nights which were very popular! Even though the stereotype is for students to go out almost every night of freshers, in reality, for most people this is not the case so lots of people get involved with the non-alcohol-based events. There will also be lots of societies in freshers and throughout the year that host events that don't revolve around going out. Maybe take a look at the societies your uni offers to see if there are any you may be interested in!

I hope this helps, good luck at uni!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Original post by iuvyuta

Hey @iuvyuta

Definitely agree with what @Lancaster Student Ambassador said here! It depends on what uni you're going to, but most unis will offer loads of non-drinking freshers events to help you meet others. For example at Kent, there are game nights, karaoke nights, coffee socials (and lots more) that you can join in with that don't involve drinking. Also, societies are a great way to meet people who have the same interests as you (and even if they occasionally hold drinking socials, these are not compulsory and you can still be a part of the society/club - most societies at Kent do hold socials that don't involve alcohol as well).

Whilst I do drink, I'm not a massive drinker and found that a lot of people are the same, and even if you make friends/have flatmates who do want to drink, you can still do other things with them to solidify your friendships! I also found I made a lot of friends actually on my course during lectures/seminars and found that most people just want to meet up and go for a coffee more than anything! :smile:

But overall, don't stress about not drinking! You'll find a lot of people are probably in the same boat, and even if not there are definitely ways to make friends without it.

Natalie
- University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
At UCL we had an 'alternative' freshers - comedy nights, open air cinema come to mind!

Generally though you may be in the minority, but it really won't effect your time at uni :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by iuvyuta

Dw im the exact same. I'm sure there will be other stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending