The Student Room Group

Higher English

Hi, I have decided to do higher English, I achieved an A in National 5(89%). I have been placed with a very bad English teacher. Any tips on how to prepare for higher English would be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
That's an amazing score, well done! I would recommend visiting the SQA website and BBC Bitesize, there you'll find loads of helpful tips and resources. YouTube is also great! Use these to help you familiarise yourself with the differences between Nat 5 and Higher. Thankfully most of the stuff are the quite similar, however RUAE is a bit different. For example, you'll no longer get marks for quotes, so if a question is worth 4 marks, you'll need 4 answers. There are also 2 passages instead of 1, as well as some new question types such as Effective Introductions/Conclusions and the final question is a comparison question between the 2 passages. I wish you the best of luck for this year!
Original post by LiannaO
That's an amazing score, well done! I would recommend visiting the SQA website and BBC Bitesize, there you'll find loads of helpful tips and resources. YouTube is also great! Use these to help you familiarise yourself with the differences between Nat 5 and Higher. Thankfully most of the stuff are the quite similar, however RUAE is a bit different. For example, you'll no longer get marks for quotes, so if a question is worth 4 marks, you'll need 4 answers. There are also 2 passages instead of 1, as well as some new question types such as Effective Introductions/Conclusions and the final question is a comparison question between the 2 passages. I wish you the best of luck for this year!

Thanks for the help!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DentistryJourney
Thanks for the help!

Not a problem, if you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending