The Student Room Group

University lectures/classes

When taking notes in university, do people usually type it up on their laptop, use an iPad, or write on paper? I know everyone uses laptops in uni but is this just for doing research or are there actually useful programs used for note-taking purposes?
I just use paper and pen for taking notes in lectures etc. I just use my laptop for word processing assignments, doing research, and also my own personal use.

I believe some studies have shown that handwriting notes improves recall, which I think is believed to be due to the brain needing to require higher order skills in order to process the information as even the fastest writers generally will struggle to copy verbatim everything being said, so the information needs to be synthesised and written in a more concise note format. Whereas typing is easier to just type exactly what is being said without really engaging with the material.

See here: https://linguistics.ucla.edu/people/hayes/Teaching/papers/MuellerAndOppenheimer2014OnTakingNotesByHand.pdf
Original post by imsorryjen
When taking notes in university, do people usually type it up on their laptop, use an iPad, or write on paper? I know everyone uses laptops in uni but is this just for doing research or are there actually useful programs used for note-taking purposes?

Hello,

Most people just use either an ipad, or conventional note-taking using paper and pen. I would imagine it would be difficult to keep up with the pace if you are typing up notes on your laptop. I have noticed ipads are very good for note-taking as you can make notes directly on the soft copy of the lecture slides, also very quick to edit your notes.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Can people take videos of the lectures, or recordings to aid with written notes?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Can people take videos of the lectures, or recordings to aid with written notes?

A lot of universities now do lecture recording automatically and make the recordings available -- so check that that's the case. Note that it might not be possible to record things like workshop sessions, seminars, or tutorials.

If lectures are not recorded, then it may be possible to record them yourself, but you absolutely must get permission in advance from the lecturer to do this.

If you need recordings as a reasonable adjustment because of a disability, I strongly suggest that you contact your university's disability services team (the name may vary between universities) to discuss this once you know you have a place there.

Hey!
Most use paper and pen, some lecturers let us know in advance if we need to take in our laptops for lecture that day. Also some of our sessions are recorded by the lecturer and uploaded for us to revisit.
I do advise if you do take notes, be organised with them :smile:

Hope this helps

Sophie
WrexhamUniReps

Hey!

I prefer not taking the old fashioned way. I know a few people that use word documents to write up their notes on. I prefer pen and paper as I can quickly draw diagrams or little pictures to help me remember things. I also like that I can use different colour pens and highlight things in the moment.

It’s totally up to what you prefer though. I’d suggest trying both and then go with whatever works best for you :smile:

Sophie (ARU)

Hey there!

So I'm a bit different to others in this thread. I personally only typed my notes. My degree was criminology, so didn't have any major diagrams or drawings, and for me it was easier to organise typed notes. What I'd do is have a folder per module and then a document per lecture. I'd also use it for readings and research. My approach also worked for me as when I had online exams at the end of the year I could use control f to find relevant notes really quickly. I found most of my course used laptops.

On the other hand, my more science friends would often hand write as it wad easier for equations and diagrams. So it can depend on your subject, but feel free to try different methods to you find the one that works for you!!

Hope that helps
Kat
Hi @imsorryjen,

I personally type most of my notes, as I am quite a slow writer. It helps me to keep things neat and organized, and because we have a lot of maps, pictures, diagrams and graphs and use lots of different software in geography, this just makes things easier for me.

I have a folder for each year, and then in that I have a folder for each module, and I typically have a document for each lecture (organized by the date and lecture title). I also have a physical folder for each module though, as we do get handouts that I write on.

It really just depends what works best for you and your learning style, as well as the subject you are studying.

Hope this helps!
Isabella

Hi there
I have an iPad and an apple pen and have them all on ONE note on my iPad :smile:

Best wishes
Emily
Hi @imsorryjen

I personally like to type as I feel that I can type faster than I can write, but it's really up to you! I'd recommend trying out both when you start uni to see which you're fastest at and which suits you.

However, I would say that writing notes is better for understanding and remembering things. So when it came to revision, I would always write my typed notes into a notebook and revise from this. This helped me remember things and also condense my notes so I only had the bits I really need to know.

Hope that helps!
Abbie

Hi there @imsorryjen, :smile:

I began my course writing up my notes on paper but personally found it easier to keep up by moving to typing up my notes. It also made storing my notes easier for when I came to review them. It's what your most comfortable with though so I'd give both a try and see which way suits you best.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending