The Student Room Group

Technology enquiries - Midwifery

I’m going into uni next year to study midwifery but I’m unsure what device I should get. I’m stuck between a MacBook and an iPad with a keyboard and the pencil. Because I like taking notes and for midwifery there is anatomy stuff on there so idk what one is suitable for the course.
If you are midwifery student let me know what one works best for you.
Reply 1
Original post by Nicole65
I’m going into uni next year to study midwifery but I’m unsure what device I should get. I’m stuck between a MacBook and an iPad with a keyboard and the pencil. Because I like taking notes and for midwifery there is anatomy stuff on there so idk what one is suitable for the course.

Personally (though I am an old fossil) I would go with a laptop of some sort and good old pen and paper for notes in lectures.

Whichever you choose, make sure you get them insured and you back up your work on some sort of cloud (most unis give you a micrsoft 365 account these days) just incase your things go walkabout.
Reply 2
Original post by Nicole65

Hi Nicole 😊

I would suggest that you just get yourself a decent laptop that'll do what you need to do with it for your university coursework.

What I did was to take down written notes as you can't keep up with the lecturer with laptops typing, then when you get a opportunity you can write it up better on the laptop and make sure you have a backup of all your coursework you have on the laptop as everything you write etc will be required by you at some point throughout your university degree when you are doing essays, assignments and any exams that the university has scheduled in.

You'll learn more about anatomy of the human body over the duration of the course.
You'll be hopefully given a PDF list of books that you'll be required to read or have for your coursework okay.

Midwifery is very hard course with lots and lots of thingy to learn about the woman body.
When you are eventually on placements carry a pocket notebook with you for taking down notes throughout your daily shifts and when you have time rewrite it up on the laptop for future reference as I said above everything you do will be required in the future okay.

NHS registered midwife
I've used a surface pro for several of my courses, gives the best of both. Typing for slower paced lectures, or use it as a tablet for handwriting with a surface pen. I'd also recommend looking into OneNote as a good way of organising typed and stylus written notes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending