The Student Room Group

Redoing first year at another uni

Is it possible to do a 1st year course at one uni, and then redo that first year course at another uni next year?
Reply 1
In some cases, but why bother doing the first year at Uni 1 if it doesn’t interest you. Take a year out and apply to the schools that you want to go to.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it possible to do a 1st year course at one uni, and then redo that first year course at another uni next year?

Hi there,

As mentioned already, this is possible in some cases, though it would be an unusual decision to make. Is this assuming that you have passed the first year? I know that at Oxford Brookes University, if an applicant has already completed a degree and wants to come do a second degree with us (usually in a different subject) they would have to complete a justifying statement explaining why they wanted to do the second degree.

If you have already passed the first year but want to change university, the most common course of action would be to apply for credit entry into second year at the university of your choice. At Brookes, not all courses offer credit entry, but many do. You would need to provide your first year transcript to be considered in any case. I hope this is helpful and feel free to give more detail if you would like more specific advice.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 3
Original post by Euapp
In some cases, but why bother doing the first year at Uni 1 if it doesn’t interest you. Take a year out and apply to the schools that you want to go to.

that’s what I was thinking but my parents want me to start university this year although I feel like I could get into a better uni if I applied next year , so I was thinking whether it was possible to just do the first year here and then leave and do the next year at the uni I want to go to if they accept me
Reply 4
Original post by OxfordBrookesRep
Hi there,

As mentioned already, this is possible in some cases, though it would be an unusual decision to make. Is this assuming that you have passed the first year? I know that at Oxford Brookes University, if an applicant has already completed a degree and wants to come do a second degree with us (usually in a different subject) they would have to complete a justifying statement explaining why they wanted to do the second degree.

If you have already passed the first year but want to change university, the most common course of action would be to apply for credit entry into second year at the university of your choice. At Brookes, not all courses offer credit entry, but many do. You would need to provide your first year transcript to be considered in any case. I hope this is helpful and feel free to give more detail if you would like more specific advice.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office

yes it’s assuming I pass the first year but I’m not planning on transferring as the unis I want to go to don’t allow it, I was only thinking of doing a first year and one uni then redoing it at another
yes it’s assuming I pass the first year but I’m not planning on transferring as the unis I want to go to don’t allow it, I was only thinking of doing a first year and one uni then redoing it at another

Hi again,

I see, well yes, it is possible. There is no UCAS related rule against it as far as I'm aware. But it will depend on the policies of the university that you are applying to. I would imagine that most universities would want an explanation of why you want to do this. If it is because you only just passed your first year and would like to refresh your knowledge to feel more confident going into the second year, it might be accepted as a reasonable rationale. But again, this will depend entirely on the university and its policies. I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Reply 6

Is it worth spending 20K ( fees plus living expenses) just to start uni if it’s not what you really want to do?
Reply 7
Original post by Euapp
Is it worth spending 20K ( fees plus living expenses) just to start uni if it’s not what you really want to do?

No it isn’t, so I was thinking I’m probably going to have to take a gap year and reapply to next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending