The Student Room Group

Is it possible to immediately enter another uni for the second year?

Hello

I got excluded from uni because i didn't pass some modules(computer science course) during my second year of studying. Is it possible to immediately enter another university(computer science course) for the second year?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

I got excluded from uni because i didn't pass some modules(computer science course) during my second year of studying. Is it possible to immediately enter another university(computer science course) for the second year?

Sorry, but I very much doubt it. Why would another university let you in to their year 2 if you could not pass year 1 elsewhere ?
Hello

You can contact universities now about applying with advanced standing/APEL

Normally those applications take more time than first year entry applications so it’s incredibly late.

the fact that you’ve failed multiple attempts at yr 2 modules is not a good sign. Do you know what caused you to fail?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Sorry, but I very much doubt it. Why would another university let you in to their year 2 if you could not pass year 1 elsewhere ?

I didn't fail any modules during my first year of studying. I failed some modules during second year, because of mental health problems. Unfortunetly, my university does not allow me to redo second year again.
I mean, can I immediately enter the second year in another university without repeating the first year?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You can contact universities now about applying with advanced standing/APEL

Normally those applications take more time than first year entry applications so it’s incredibly late.

the fact that you’ve failed multiple attempts at yr 2 modules is not a good sign. Do you know what caused you to fail?

I failed some modules because I had mental health problems. Unfortunately, I do not have a chance to redo a second year in my university. I guess my only option is to apply to another university.
I didn't fail any modules during my first year of studying. I failed some modules during second year, because of mental health problems. Unfortunetly, my university does not allow me to redo second year again.
I mean, can I immediately enter the second year in another university without repeating the first year?

Hi,

Yes, you can transfer university from 1st to 2nd year. Whilst I wasn't in the same situation, I was able to move to the University of Kent without repeating my first year. It's probably best to contact the university you want to move to though, as they'll be able to give you the best advice :smile:

If you have any other questions about transferring university, let me know!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi,

Yes, you can transfer university from 1st to 2nd year. Whilst I wasn't in the same situation, I was able to move to the University of Kent without repeating my first year. It's probably best to contact the university you want to move to though, as they'll be able to give you the best advice :smile:

If you have any other questions about transferring university, let me know!

Natalie

Isn't it too late to get into another university right away for the second year? I mean it is the end of August. Or do I still have a chance to apply to another university for 2 year?
I failed some modules because I had mental health problems. Unfortunately, I do not have a chance to redo a second year in my university. I guess my only option is to apply to another university.

Have you been able to “fix” your mental health problems to guarantee that the situation won’t re-occur on your new course?

Given the lack of time available I would strongly recommend that you take a gap year and submit a new UCAS application for year 2 entry to 5 universities that you have spoken to in advance.

You’ll need to declare your previous academic study at university as well as your A levels on your UCAS application. And will be asked to submit full transcripts.

Don’t rush into a transfer if there’s any risk that the problems you faced aren’t resolved. Funding isn’t unlimited.
Isn't it too late to get into another university right away for the second year? I mean it is the end of August. Or do I still have a chance to apply to another university for 2 year?

As I explained above - APEL applications take longer than year 1 entry. Your previous study and learning outcomes need to be mapped against the first year modules of the new course to ensure that you have a chance at succeeding on the course.

It’s unlikely that you’ll find a place in time for September and if you do then your options are likely to be very limited (and possibly against your best interests if you’re not fully recovered)

Hey,

I think you might still have a chance, you should definitely contact the uni(s) you're interested in moving to and they'll be able to tell you if it's possible/how to go about it! From what I remember, since you'd be applying for second year entry and not first year, the application process isn't as time consuming and they essentially just gave me an unconditional offer based on my A-levels and first year results which I just had to accept. As said above they did also check the modules I've done matched up. The only thing which may be too late to sort could be accommodation. But I sorted my transfer in July at the end of my first year and was able to go straight into second year in September, so not too much earlier. :smile:

Natalie
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Have you been able to “fix” your mental health problems to guarantee that the situation won’t re-occur on your new course?

Given the lack of time available I would strongly recommend that you take a gap year and submit a new UCAS application for year 2 entry to 5 universities that you have spoken to in advance.

You’ll need to declare your previous academic study at university as well as your A levels on your UCAS application. And will be asked to submit full transcripts.

Don’t rush into a transfer if there’s any risk that the problems you faced aren’t resolved. Funding isn’t unlimited.

I kinda fixed these problems. I don't think that I want to take a gap year. I think that I might apply to another university(for a new course) because computer science course was not really my choice. As a result, it destroyed my mental health. I heard that in some universities people start studying in January. I will try to apply for them through ucas. I hope they still accept international students
I kinda fixed these problems. I don't think that I want to take a gap year. I think that I might apply to another university(for a new course) because computer science course was not really my choice. As a result, it destroyed my mental health. I heard that in some universities people start studying in January. I will try to apply for them through ucas. I hope they still accept international students

If you require a visa then that’s going to make things more complicated.

Likewise if you are planning to change subject then you won’t be able to start in year 2 of a new course
Reply 12
I came here to say pretty much exactly what PQ had. PQ is providing the best advice here and with respect, theKent rep is complicating a situation that they clearly, obviously do not understand. Please, please listen to PQ who works in a university and knows what they're on about.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
If you require a visa then that’s going to make things more complicated.

Likewise if you are planning to change subject then you won’t be able to start in year 2 of a new course

I understand that I will start from the beginning(I think it is good solution for me right now). I still will try to enroll in a new course at another university through UCAS
I understand that I will start from the beginning(I think it is good solution for me right now). I still will try to enroll in a new course at another university through UCAS

You’ll have a 5 year limit on a student route visa.

A new university for. 3 year degree will be wary of sponsoring you for a visa knowing that you have used 2 years of your visa maximum and also previously failed a year

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Visas-and-Immigration/Student-route-eligibility-and-requirements#layer-3002

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending