The Student Room Group

Kicked off both chemistry and biology a level

I don't know how to feel. In our last test, I got one E and a D. My head of sixth form, came and told me, I'm not getting good enough grades for AS therefore, I will not be continuing with the course. And I was shocked. If it was Us I would understand but I mean for now Es and Ds aren't that bad. They aren't great at all either but. Essentially yeah, I don't know what to do. Whether I should take the alternative choice at my school and choose another subject and start in the summer (means a waste of 1 year) or redo Chemistry and Biology at another school (my own school won't allow me to redo the same subjects). (Still a waste of one year). However you look at it, I will most likely have a mediocre A level life ahead. If that's if I'm to even continue at this point. Help please.
(edited 11 months ago)
Do you think you have the potential to get higher grades? If you are able to show them that you can achieve atleast a C or higher (eg taking another exam), then they might let you carry on. Also consider what’s the best choice in the long term- if you don’t enjoy the subjects, or don’t necessarily need them, then it may be worth restarting with new subjects otherwise you will likely struggle. If you do need them (eg for a specific Uni course) and don’t think you will be able to improve enough by the actual A level exams, then consider redoing bio and chem. Your sixth form should also offer you extra support, as they want people to pass (which you already are, but they probably expect minimum Cs).
Hi @zurox,

I’m currently a first-year student at Birmingham City University and I can relate to the struggle of not getting the grades you want throughout your A Levels.
Although I didn’t study Biology and Chemistry A Level, I did have a similar issue with A Level German, receiving lower grades in tests than I would have liked and feeling unsure about the subject.

My best suggestion would be to chat to your subject teachers about your grades and about how you can progress. Before making decisions about changing subjects or retaking a year, it could be helpful to find out their opinion on what you could do to improve your grades.
If you’re enjoying the subjects and want to continue studying them, I would try not to worry about the idea of taking another year out for your A Levels. It wouldn’t be a wasted year, as it gives you the opportunity to focus on your subjects and achieve the grades you really want.

Sometimes it can feel stressful or a waste to retake a year, or to start a new subject, especially if your peers are continuing to do something else, like university. But I think it’s important to take your time and focus on yourself, and to understand that taking another year shouldn’t be a negative choice.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions.
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by spliced
Do you think you have the potential to get higher grades? If you are able to show them that you can achieve atleast a C or higher (eg taking another exam), then they might let you carry on. Also consider what’s the best choice in the long term- if you don’t enjoy the subjects, or don’t necessarily need them, then it may be worth restarting with new subjects otherwise you will likely struggle. If you do need them (eg for a specific Uni course) and don’t think you will be able to improve enough by the actual A level exams, then consider redoing bio and chem. Your sixth form should also offer you extra support, as they want people to pass (which you already are, but they probably expect minimum Cs).

hey, and I should have put this in my main message, but they gave me that trial test to see if I could carry on. Now mind you, it was a test for the content back in December/January. They didn't specify what paper they were going to do and I studied mainly for a different part of the spec and instead got a set of questions I didn't expect. It was poorly set up but i did manage passing even though it's not a good pass tbh 😭. But I really do need these subjects as I want to be taking a medical related course for uni (Optometry). They won't let me retake the course at my current sixth form so I'm unsure what to do :/.
Reply 4
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi @zurox,

I’m currently a first-year student at Birmingham City University and I can relate to the struggle of not getting the grades you want throughout you’re a Levels.
Although I didn’t study Biology and Chemistry A Level, I did have a similar issue with A Level German, receiving lower grades in tests than I would have liked and feeling unsure about the subject.

My best suggestion would be to chat to your subject teachers about your grades and about how you can progress. Before making decisions about changing subjects or retaking a year, it could be helpful to find out their opinion on what you could do to improve your grades.
If you’re enjoying the subjects and want to continue studying them, I would try not to worry about the idea of taking another year out for your A Levels. It wouldn’t be a wasted year, as it gives you the opportunity to focus on your subjects and achieve the grades you really want.

Sometimes it can feel stressful or a waste to retake a year, or to start a new subject, especially if your peers are continuing to do something else, like university. But I think it’s important to take your time and focus on yourself, and to understand that taking another year shouldn’t be a negative choice.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions.
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University.

Hi, thank you for your encouraging words. I would honestly even love the chance to retake the subject however my school are not supporting that decision. The only decision they will support are taking new subjects and starting fresh after summer. Which would be awesome if that was biology and chemistry. But it won't be. So I'm not sure whether I should try another school? Which would be a pain bc I really don't like dealing with unfamiliarity including the having to get to know the school building, the teachers, the culture and the students. It's very exhausting. So I feel very stuck :/.
Reply 5
Hi. Zurox,

I am a second year student at sixth form currently studying biology and chemistry . Your college should allow you to re start the year ( I had to for my own reasons) as long as they have space for you at college. It also might be due to the fact you are presumably not struggling with your other subject so will not be restarting all subjects.

Talk to the student support team they will know best

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest