The Student Room Group

Architecture Part II with a 2:2?

Original post by gorduhero
Hi everyone,

I got a 2:2 after completing my undergraduate in architecture. It wasn't close to a 2:1 either, I got 50% for both of my design modules. At the time I was getting bored with architecture and became lazy, and paid for it. Somehow, I managed to land a Year Out work placement with my portfolio. Working in a professional environment really opened my eyes, and I realised I still enjoy architecture a lot, especially in practice. However, I still need to study more to really be as efficient as I can in work. And I want to give architecture in uni another chance.

Obviously, with my grade, architecture in uni didn't want to give me another chance. I've tried to apply for UCL (long shot I know) and my old uni and got rejected by both. I did touch up my last year design quite a bit before applying, but apparently, that wasn't enough. I really want to get into a decent university for my master, cause it'll be on my cv forever.

I don't know what to do atm. I can see these options:

1. Work for another year to gain more stuff for my portfolio. Completely redesign/design further my final uni project and hope it increases my chance.

2. Try to get into a one-year MA course, to get work for portfolio + a good grade. Then re-appply for Part II

3. Accept that it won't get better and I should be content with a low-ranking university for my Master (even that's lucky)

Don't want to sound high and mighty, I know my 2:2 is not gonna do much to help, I just want to really try this time. If I could redo my last year, I would, because I got a first in design in my 2nd year, I know I can do better. Please give me some advice, thank you all.

You already seem to have worked out your options so I'm not sure what more you want people to say. If you can redo your final year (unis generally only allow this if you are resitting or have extenuating circumstances) then great. If not keep trying for masters courses and of course get work experience to help.
Reply 1
Hi everyone,

I got a 2:2 after completing my undergraduate in architecture. It wasn't close to a 2:1 either, I got 50% for both of my design modules. At the time I was getting bored with architecture and became lazy, and paid for it. Somehow, I managed to land a Year Out work placement with my portfolio. Working in a professional environment really opened my eyes, and I realised I still enjoy architecture a lot, especially in practice. However, I still need to study more to really be as efficient as I can in work. And I want to give architecture in uni another chance.

Obviously, with my grade, architecture in uni didn't want to give me another chance. I've tried to apply for UCL (long shot I know) and my old uni and got rejected by both. I did touch up my last year design quite a bit before applying, but apparently, that wasn't enough. I really want to get into a decent university for my master, cause it'll be on my cv forever.

1. Work for another year to gain more stuff for my portfolio. Completely redesign/design further my final uni project and hope it increases my chance.

2. Try to get into a one-year MA course, to get work for portfolio + a good grade. Then re-appply for Part II

3. Accept that it won't get better and I should be content with a low-ranking university for my Master (even that's lucky)

Don't want to sound high and mighty, I know my 2:2 is not gonna do much to help, I just want to really try this time. If I could redo my last year, I would, because I got a first in design in my 2nd year, I know I can do better. Please give me some advice, thank you all.
@gorduhero FYI above :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by gorduhero
Hi everyone,

Long shot as it’s been 5 years now. But I was just wondering what you ended up doing? I’m in a practically identical situation now trying to figure out what to do with my life. Except I’m yet to apply for my part 2 in fear of rejection. Currently in my second year out working as a part 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending