The Student Room Group

should i take chem alevel or cs??

i can't decide between chemistry or computer science a-level?
any advice??
i'm set on doing physics and maths alongside it.
also i didn't take gcse computer science.. so idk where to start and try to catch up over the summer
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by e.asmerom
any advice??
i didn't take gcse computer science..

What field of work do you wanna go into? Any ideas?
Reply 2
Original post by tamilGuy.
What field of work do you wanna go into? Any ideas?

i was thinking aerospace engineering but i'm really just into engineering in general
i was thinking aerospace engineering but i'm really just into engineering in general

I’d imagine either will be acceptable.

Which one do you reckon would be more interesting? Compare the A level specifications for each to get an idea which one is more interesting to you.
Reply 4

Damnnnnn, I am doing Aerospacee tooo!

Good to see you doing Mathematics + Physics.

As for the third subject, I did Computer Science - partly because I studied CS at GCSE too and was with the same exam board.

Is it Chemistry or CS that you are interested in though, because either seems fine to me!
Reply 5
any advice??
i'm set on doing physics and maths alongside it.
also i didn't take gcse computer science.. so idk where to start and try to catch up over the summer

Oh by the way, at my uni, Computer science seemed a lot more useful when it came to the first year modules. We did have a more chemistry-involving module but even that didn't demand Chem at an A-level stage. I was able to get through it with GCSE Chem.

The only thing that I see as a disadvantage is you not having done GCSE CS - because this massively helps at A-level. However, I know people who did A-level CS without having done it at GCSE. Their only "preparation" was a bit of Python over the summer. And that is what I would advice you on doing if you do choose to take up CS. Learn the language that your sixth form will be covering (most likely Python) up till the GCSE level. You could master it with some practice and commitment!
Reply 6
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’d imagine either will be acceptable.

Which one do you reckon would be more interesting? Compare the A level specifications for each to get an idea which one is more interesting to you.

I have looked at both and if i pick chem i would be more at an advantage but i feel like I would want to try something new.
However this is alevels and i haven't taken cs before and idk if its the best time to experiment.
I have looked at both and if i pick chem i would be more at an advantage but i feel like I would want to try something new.
However this is alevels and i haven't taken cs before and idk if its the best time to experiment.

I would be cautious about “experimenting”.

Considering you want to get the highest grades possible, decide whether you are likelier to get a strong grade in chemistry or CS.
Reply 8
Original post by TypicalNerd
I would be cautious about “experimenting”.

Considering you want to get the highest grades possible, decide whether you are likelier to get a strong grade in chemistry or CS.

yeah your right!!! thanks for the advice!!!
Reply 9
Oh by the way, at my uni, Computer science seemed a lot more useful when it came to the first year modules. We did have a more chemistry-involving module but even that didn't demand Chem at an A-level stage. I was able to get through it with GCSE Chem.

The only thing that I see as a disadvantage is you not having done GCSE CS - because this massively helps at A-level. However, I know people who did A-level CS without having done it at GCSE. Their only "preparation" was a bit of Python over the summer. And that is what I would advice you on doing if you do choose to take up CS. Learn the language that your sixth form will be covering (most likely Python) up till the GCSE level. You could master it with some practice and commitment!

btw do you think i should learn hexadecimal and binary and if so which one first??
Reply 10
btw do you think i should learn hexadecimal and binary and if so which one first??

Oh rather specific, it would certainly help as it falls part of the content (it doesn't add value to your intial programming experience) but you certainly go for it!

The numbering system we humans use (0-9) thats Denary. So go for (denary), binary and then Hex.
Reply 11
Oh rather specific, it would certainly help as it falls part of the content (it doesn't add value to your intial programming experience) but you certainly go for it!

The numbering system we humans use (0-9) thats Denary. So go for (denary), binary and then Hex.

Thank you sm!!!!
Reply 12
Thank you sm!!!!

no worries, best of luck with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest