The Student Room Group

nursing to medicine? HELP!

I’m a first year nursing student, and am currently worrying that I may be more interested in becoming a doctor in the long run, however (before people comment ‘JUST SWAP!!’) I didn’t complete any of the normal A-level entry requirements e.g chemistry/biology/maths/physics which is why i ended up going into nursing instead of medicine.

I know there are graduate entry medicine courses, and that the government may be introducing medical apprenticeships - but i’m worried that the competition for these will be too high for me, especially as most university’s don’t accept nursing degrees????? (still baffled by this - can study geography but not nursing and get into GEM).

I’m just worried that i won’t be able to achieve the high level (2:1 or first) in nursing when i know right at the beginning my heart isn’t in it long term.

Please leave any advice or frankly any comments was just wondering if there’s any avenues people know about that i haven’t explored yet.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by elizalee
I’m a first year nursing student, and am currently worrying that I may be more interested in becoming a doctor in the long wrong, however (before people comment ‘JUST SWAP!!’) I didn’t complete any of the normal A-level entry requirements e.g chemistry/biology/maths/physics which is why i ended up going into nursing instead of medicine.

I know there are graduate entry medicine courses, and that the government may be introducing medical apprenticeships - but i’m worried that the competition for these will be too high for me, especially as most university’s don’t accept nursing degrees????? (still baffled by this - can study geography but not nursing and get into GEM).

I’m just worried that i won’t be able to achieve the high level (2:1 or first) in nursing when i know right at the beginning my heart isn’t in it long term.

Please leave any advice or frankly any comments was just wondering if there’s any avenues people know about that i haven’t explored yet.

Morning! I study Graduate Entry Medicine at Swansea, and I can really recommend our course to you - I love it!

In terms of our entry requirements, you can refer to the website for more details, but briefly you would need:
- Minimum grade C in GCSE Mathematics and English/Welsh.
- Completion of admissions test (GAMSAT if you're a home student).
- A 2:1 in a degree in any subject, or a 2:2 if you have done a higher degree e.g., a Masters or PHD.

I would say that GEM may be the best option for you if you have already started your nursing degree, especially as by doing nursing you will be constantly exposed to the clinical MDT and will get a big insight into the life and career of the doctors you will work with.

Alternatively, you could consider doing a pathways degree at Swansea also. This is the route that I took, so it is definitely tried and tested. It's worth looking at, but I would say make sure you look through the website in detail to ensure that your A Level subjects are compatible. This could be an option if you fit the criteria and really don't want to do your nursing degree. There are built in channels within the pathways degrees to ensure that you can get things such as a guaranteed interview for GEM at Swansea if you perform well enough in certain modules.

I hope those avenues give you something to think about, please ask if you have any questions :smile:

Lastly, believe in yourself. If you work hard, you will be able to achieve your end goal, whatever that may be.

Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending