The Student Room Group

A Level

Hi, I received my A level results but needed another A to do the course I wanted, law. Going to take a year out to do another A level in the hope I can achieve another A. Question is do universities like different A levels taken in the following year. I have emailed some universities and phoned but unable to get a response. Thank you
Original post by Leighcbd
Hi, I received my A level results but needed another A to do the course I wanted, law. Going to take a year out to do another A level in the hope I can achieve another A. Question is do universities like different A levels taken in the following year. I have emailed some universities and phoned but unable to get a response. Thank you

You question assumes that all universities treat A levels taken outside the "normal" two-year time-frame in the same way. They do not. What universities are you targeting / have you e-mailed? Will be be retaking one of your existing A levels in the hope of achieving the A, or starting a completely new subject?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You question assumes that all universities treat A levels taken outside the "normal" two-year time-frame in the same way. They do not. What universities are you targeting / have you e-mailed? Will be be retaking one of your existing A levels in the hope of achieving the A, or starting a completely new subject?

Thanks for replying. I would be looking at Exeter, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham & York. Would be taking a new A level,English lit. I have emailed a couple of the unis and have also tried phoning but can't get through.
Thanks for replying. I would be looking at Exeter, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham & York. Would be taking a new A level,English lit. I have emailed a couple of the unis and have also tried phoning but can't get through.

Understood. Whilst some units have a public policy on resits, its less common for them to have a policy on taking four A levels over three years - which it what you'd be doing (if I've understood you correctly). Below I'm going to use resits as a proxy for your scenario - i.e. if a uni is less comfortable with resits, they're likely to be less comfortable with four A levels over three years.

Exeter say here that, "We are generally happy to consider those who have or are re-taking part or all of a qualification, subject to any caps or numbers management relating to the volume of unconditional offers overall. Where predictions are not available for those applicants who are re-taking part or all of a qualification, we will normally base our assessment on the assumption that they are likely to achieve one grade higher than their original result."

Liverpool say here that, "We accept applications from students who are re-taking their examinations. However, applicants should note that any offer they may receive may require them to obtain higher grades than those quoted as ‘typical’ requirements in the prospectus and that some high-demand courses may place restrictions on such applications."

Manchester say here that, "If you are planning to re-sit the final Year 13 examinations, or have already done so, the University will consider your application, but we may require further information. Each case is considered individually."

York say here that "We consider the following circumstances on a case-by-case basis, depending on the course you're applying to and the information supplied in your application:
A levels taken over three years
resits"

The other unis don't appear to have any official policy on this topic.
Reply 4
Understood. Whilst some units have a public policy on resits, its less common for them to have a policy on taking four A levels over three years - which it what you'd be doing (if I've understood you correctly). Below I'm going to use resits as a proxy for your scenario - i.e. if a uni is less comfortable with resits, they're likely to be less comfortable with four A levels over three years.

Exeter say here that, "We are generally happy to consider those who have or are re-taking part or all of a qualification, subject to any caps or numbers management relating to the volume of unconditional offers overall. Where predictions are not available for those applicants who are re-taking part or all of a qualification, we will normally base our assessment on the assumption that they are likely to achieve one grade higher than their original result."

Liverpool say here that, "We accept applications from students who are re-taking their examinations. However, applicants should note that any offer they may receive may require them to obtain higher grades than those quoted as ‘typical’ requirements in the prospectus and that some high-demand courses may place restrictions on such applications."

Manchester say here that, "If you are planning to re-sit the final Year 13 examinations, or have already done so, the University will consider your application, but we may require further information. Each case is considered individually."

York say here that "We consider the following circumstances on a case-by-case basis, depending on the course you're applying to and the information supplied in your application:
A levels taken over three years
resits"

The other unis don't appear to have any official policy on this topic.

Thank you for finding this information out, really appreciate it. Did you obtain this information from their websites? I couldn't find any info. It's been a difficult few days. I got AAC in results. Hoping I can do English lit by self-funding and achieve an A. I'd be looking to attend uni September 2024. Thank you for your help.
Thank you for finding this information out, really appreciate it. Did you obtain this information from their websites? I couldn't find any info. It's been a difficult few days. I got AAC in results. Hoping I can do English lit by self-funding and achieve an A. I'd be looking to attend uni September 2024. Thank you for your help.

Yup. It's all on their web sites. The post above contains links to each source, so you can see what they say in context. (Every underlined "here" is a link to the source.)

Just out of interest, why take a new A level with the hope of getting an A rather than re-taking whatever subject you got the C in and trying to get that to an A? Was that subject just so tough you can't imagine getting it up to an A?
Reply 6
Yup. It's all on their web sites. The post above contains links to each source, so you can see what they say in context. (Every underlined "here" is a link to the source.)

Just out of interest, why take a new A level with the hope of getting an A rather than re-taking whatever subject you got the C in and trying to get that to an A? Was that subject just so tough you can't imagine getting it up to an A?

The C I obtained was in Bussiness. A in Law and an A in Criminology. I have considered to resitting the Business A level but know that I wouldn't achieve an A. My results weren't good enough to do a Law degree :-(

Quick Reply

Latest