The Student Room Group

Official: University of Birmingham A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by reubenn05
based on last year's info, 6-7 stations, face to face

What kind of topics will they be about? Also what month(s) will the interviews be happening?
Original post by VilasL06
What kind of topics will they be about? Also what month(s) will the interviews be happening?

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/medicine-interviews.aspx
Reply 22
your actual sjt band is looked at, given the same weighting as an mmi station

Just double checking - if I score 8.5 I would have a good shot at getting an interview but my SJT band 3 would put me at a disadvantage at MMI station weighting?
Original post by ss12468
Just double checking - if I score 8.5 I would have a good shot at getting an interview but my SJT band 3 would put me at a disadvantage at MMI station weighting?

yes, that's correct
Reply 24
Hi! I'm a non contextual applicant with a UCAT of 3020 B2

I have 11 9s at GCSE I was wondering if it's still worth me applying for Birmingham med?

I really like the course and uni but have seen how some non-contextual applicants have been rejected with really good scores!

Is my UCAT competitive enough for applying or should I choose another?

If so do you recommend any integrated (but more trad) UCAT med schools other than Kings and Sheffield.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 7 months ago)
I have a score of 2780 B1
8 9s and 2 8s
Predicted 4A*

I think I’m non contextual as well

Would I have a chance to get an interview at Birmingham please?

What would be my score as well please?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 26
Did birmingham have a cut off for ucat foe 2023 entry?
Original post by Mn111
Did birmingham have a cut off for ucat foe 2023 entry?

they use a scoring system with ucat, gcses and contextual. 8.1 was the cutoff last year
(edited 7 months ago)
Because UoB will no longer provide points for POLAR postcodes and will only provide points if you’re eligible for free school meals or are in care does that mean the point threshold will go down?

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/how-we-make-offers#:~:text=For%202024%20entry%20onwards%2C%20eligibility,this%20on%20your%20UCAS%20form).

Because I don’t know if I would be competitive enough to comply?
UCAT -2710
GCSEs - 9988888886
Reply 29
Hi, my son has just got UCAT 2920 SJT 1 and is predicted 3As in Chem, Bio and Maths in A Levels. He has 1xA*, 4x9s, 2x8s, 3X6s in GCSEs incl maths, english and sciences.

He's keen Medicine A100 at KCL and B'ham, but we are not sure as the thresholds are forever changing...which unis should he apply to please? Any tips, advice much appreciated! ps. He unfortunately does not meet the contextual criteria and for Bham it looks like he has 7.3, is it worth him still applying?
Original post by Fazk
Hi, my son has just got UCAT 2920 SJT 1 and is predicted 3As in Chem, Bio and Maths in A Levels. He has 1xA*, 4x9s, 2x8s, 3X6s in GCSEs incl maths, english and sciences.

He's keen Medicine A100 at KCL and B'ham, but we are not sure as the thresholds are forever changing...which unis should he apply to please? Any tips, advice much appreciated! ps. He unfortunately does not meet the contextual criteria and for Bham it looks like he has 7.3, is it worth him still applying?

unfortunately the bham cutoff was 8.1 last year. look at newcastle, sheffield, southampton, uea
Reply 31
How is the GCSE score scaled please. Ie,how many points does a score of 22 give you?
unfortunately the bham cutoff was 8.1 last year. look at newcastle, sheffield, southampton, uea

where can u calculate ur score?
@reubenn05 Would a score of 8.292 be safe for Contextual this year? Thanks
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by sameiksha2626
where can u calculate ur score?

on birmingham's website - google bham medicine scoring. to scale your gcse points multiply your total score divided by maximum points by 4.5 (maximum scaled gcse score is 4.5)
Original post by deentric670
@reubenn05 Would a score of 8.292 be safe for Contextual this year? Thanks

nothing is really safe in medicine applications, but that should be ok i think. also depends on your other options, for overall risk of your application
Reply 36
Hi I’m posting on behalf of my son. UCAT 2790 Predicted 2A* and A 8x9s at GCSE plus 1 8 (2 if you count further maths).

No contextual.

Birmingham calculator say good chance of interview but would appreciate thoughts.
Reply 37
Hi All,
I'm wondering if it would be worth talking a shot at Birmingham.
UCAT 2580, Predicted A*AA
GCESs 9x9s 1x8.
Polar 3, Contextual school.
I think this works out as 4.5 (GCSEs) 2.667 (UCAT) 0.9 (contextual) = 8.067. I know last year was 8.1.
Have I calculated correctly and is it worth the risk??
Thanks very much!
Reply 38
Original post by Nicwiss
Hi All,
I'm wondering if it would be worth talking a shot at Birmingham.
UCAT 2580, Predicted A*AA
GCESs 9x9s 1x8.
Polar 3, Contextual school.
I think this works out as 4.5 (GCSEs) 2.667 (UCAT) 0.9 (contextual) = 8.067. I know last year was 8.1.
Have I calculated correctly and is it worth the risk??
Thanks very much!

you may want to add your SJT band
Reply 39
Sorry, band 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending