The Student Room Group

Official: University of Birmingham A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nicwiss
Hi All,
I'm wondering if it would be worth talking a shot at Birmingham.
UCAT 2580, Predicted A*AA
GCESs 9x9s 1x8.
Polar 3, Contextual school.
I think this works out as 4.5 (GCSEs) 2.667 (UCAT) 0.9 (contextual) = 8.067. I know last year was 8.1.
Have I calculated correctly and is it worth the risk??
Thanks very much!

Calculation looks ok but I'm not sure if they allocate deciles based on UCAT score of their applicants so points may change marginally? As long as you have 3 safeish options then this could be worth a shot as your aspirational?
Reply 41
Would it be fine to apply to Birmingham with a score of 7.906 or is there no chance I'll get interviewed?
Reply 42
Original post by Haianu
Would it be fine to apply to Birmingham with a score of 7.906 or is there no chance I'll get interviewed?

Contextual home cutoff was 8.067 last year, your score is pretty close to this but probably risky. Too many unknown factors - effect of strategic applications, if Birmingham's own deciles will change based on their cohort etc. Also your SJT band will be a factor post interview. If you have 3 other safeish places and really want to apply to Birmingham then give it a go!
Reply 43
I would like to know this as well, but i assume so.
Original post by Crisheath2023
Because UoB will no longer provide points for POLAR postcodes and will only provide points if you’re eligible for free school meals or are in care does that mean the point threshold will go down?

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/how-we-make-offers#:~:text=For%202024%20entry%20onwards%2C%20eligibility,this%20on%20your%20UCAS%20form).

Because I don’t know if I would be competitive enough to comply?
UCAT -2710
GCSEs - 9988888886
I'm a graduate applying for the undergrad Med degree at Birmingham. I previously applied after A-levels but didn't get in - I was contextual and completed the A2B programme.

GCSE's:8887776655B
A-Levels: AAB
Degree: BSc Biomedical Science - 2:1
UCAT: 2720 B2

I'm not sure how the contextual stuff works for a graduate and whether my previous completion of the A2B programme impacts my application.

Do you guys think I have a good chance?

Thanks
Hi, I really like Birmingham, but am unsure as to how safe it would be. My stats are: 2820 ucat, 13 A*’s gcse, 3A* predicted. I would have 0.9 contextual points. Do I have a decent chance at an interview?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Hhhhhh558
Hi, I really like Birmingham, but am unsure as to how safe it would be. My stats are: 2820 ucat, 13 A*’s gcse, 3A* predicted. I would have 0.9 contextual points. Do I have a decent chance at an interview?

have you checked that you attend a contextual school? if so, then yes you have a decent chance
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by reubenn05
have you checked that you attend a contextual school?

Yes I go to a welsh state school, and I live in a polar 4 quantile 4 area.
Yes I go to a welsh state school, and I live in a polar 4 quantile 4 area.

yes you will have a good chance then, as you either score 8.511 if your score falls into bham's 8th decile, or 8.956 if it falls into 9th decile, cutoff was 8.1 last year
yes you will have a good chance then, as you either score 8.511 if your score falls into bham's 8th decile, or 8.956 if it falls into 9th decile, cutoff was 8.1 last year

Thanks! I’m just trying to balance applying to where id like to go and choosing wisely. I’d ideally like to get 4 interviews, but really like Birmingham. Its so difficult!
Thanks! I’m just trying to balance applying to where id like to go and choosing wisely. I’d ideally like to get 4 interviews, but really like Birmingham. Its so difficult!

you should get an interview from birmingham, as the cutoff score will probably decrease due to gcse grade deflation, so your score should be fine
I'm a graduate applying for the undergrad Med degree at Birmingham. I previously applied after A-levels but didn't get in - I was contextual and completed the A2B programme.

I'm not sure how the contextual stuff works for a graduate and whether my previous completion of the A2B programme impacts my application.

Thanks
Reply 52
I score 8.067 including contextual. Would that be risky? I went to a contextual state school for secondary and live in quintile 3. Does that qualify me for contextual offer?
Reply 53
Original post by mahdikhan786

Thanks

Looking at their web site it’s not entirely clear but it is saying they rank graduates on UCAT only if you meet minimum requirements.
Looking at entry stats it looks to me like they have a certain number of graduate spots which is around 20.

So it all depends how many graduates apply as to whether your UCAT is competitive enough. I would say it’s risky though seeing as 130 applied last year and they only interview 30.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 54
UCAT - 2850 band 1
GCSES - 8 9s and 2 8s

no contextual factors
interview likely?

Thanks
Original post by Laycity
Looking at their web site it’s not entirely clear but it is saying they rank graduates on UCAT only if you meet minimum requirements.
Looking at entry stats it looks to me like they have a certain number of graduate spots which is around 20.

So it all depends how many graduates apply as to whether your UCAT is competitive enough. I would say it’s risky though seeing as 130 applied last year and they only interview 30.

True. I was also contextual and did the A2B programme last time I applied so I’m wondering if that might have some effect. Aston and Warwick are my other choices and seem slightly safer.
Reply 56
Hi! Can't seem to find any answers to this online so thought I'd ask here. On a med school comparison website, I saw that "To study at The University of Birmingham Medical School you will need to have a minimum 2 weeks work experience" but I can't seem to find any detail of this on their website. Does this mean if I only have 1 week of work experience, I can't apply?
Original post by irisch123
Hi! Can't seem to find any answers to this online so thought I'd ask here. On a med school comparison website, I saw that "To study at The University of Birmingham Medical School you will need to have a minimum 2 weeks work experience" but I can't seem to find any detail of this on their website. Does this mean if I only have 1 week of work experience, I can't apply?

that website is likely outdated, as the vast majority of medical schools have now ditched minimum work experience requirements
Reply 58
that website is likely outdated, as the vast majority of medical schools have now ditched minimum work experience requirements

I see... that makes sense. Thank you :smile:
Reply 59
If the gov.uk data shows that my school doesn't meet the threshold needed for it to be contextual, does it 100% mean that I'm not a contextual applicant? I've emailed them and they said they'd find out whether my school was contextual or not but I've not had a reply in over a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending