The Student Room Group

Official: University of Birmingham A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone. I’m trying to apply UOB medicine but the information on their site doesn’t add up. On last years statistics data the minimum gcse score needed was 3.75 GCSE but the total minimum application score is 8.125 for standard applicants. How is that possible? If a standard applicant gets 3.75 GCSE surely the maximum score they can get is 7.75 if they get a top decile UCAT score?
On top of this the contextual point system isn’t clear. On the website it says that it uses your home postcode but when I phoned the university about contextual scoring they said they use the schools postcode?
The reason this is so important to me is that I have a 3.75 GCSE and 4.0 UCAT score so I get 7.75 and I’m having trouble deciding if it’s worth applying.
Anyone else phone the university and get some conflicting responses?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 61
Original post by hamzafarrukh0
Hey everyone. I’m trying to apply UOB medicine but the information on their site doesn’t add up. On last years statistics data the minimum gcse score needed was 3.75 GCSE but the total minimum application score is 8.125 for standard applicants. How is that possible? If a standard applicant gets 3.75 GCSE surely the maximum score they can get is 7.75 if they get a top decile UCAT score?
On top of this the contextual point system isn’t clear. On the website it says that it uses your home postcode but when I phoned the university about contextual scoring they said they use the schools postcode?
The reason this is so important to me is that I have a 3.75 GCSE and 4.0 UCAT score so I get 7.75 and I’m having trouble deciding if it’s worth applying.

They have simply given the lowest points that were made an offer, ignoring the fact, it is likely they had extenuating circumstances or similar.

To qualify for any contextual points at all you need to have attended a school that meets their contextual criteria or have FSM. Then the number of points you get are determined by your home postcode
Hi
Could I possibly have any help with working out my score for birmingham and give any advice as to whether or not I should apply?
2680 B2
9999999998 (8 is in maths)
non-contextual
A*A*A chemistry, biology, psychology
thank you :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by hamzafarrukh0

I have written to the uni, awaiting response, Leicester also has similar scores which doesn't add up.

Their response was "We interview candidates who completed Realising Opportunities Programmes whose UCAT was in the top seven deciles those candidates are not scored. This is explained in the scoring document and is why we resisted publishing the UCAT stats for several years as the raw figures can be misleading as they do not account for all those variations."
may be somethings similar for Birmingham too.
Hi guys, I am an international student and I wanted to apply for Birmingham together with UCL, Manchester and Nottingham.

2970 B1
99999998 (8 in english first lang)
A*A*A* for Chemistry, biology, maths

I tried using the score calculator and I got a score of 7.25
I am a bit concerned as I saw other applicants mentioning 8.1. Would I have any chance of getting into Bham or even getting an interview? Thanks :smile:
I achieved AAA for alevels this year but do they need an A*?
Reply 66
Original post by Greatdogs2005
I achieved AAA for alevels this year but do they need an A*?

Yes, unless you are contextual?
Reply 67
When does the Birmingham 2023 admissions data get released?
Original post by PaulZzzz
When does the Birmingham 2023 admissions data get released?

It’s already been released and is on their website but from what I read, some of their scoring doesn’t add up for the standard applicants. You can have a look for yourself though. Just click on the link labelled application statistics
Reply 69
I can see 2022-23 data on the Birmingham website under Medicine Threshold scores

Really want 2023-24 data. Thought it would be out as the new academic year has started.
I can see 2022-23 data on the Birmingham website under Medicine Threshold scores

Really want 2023-24 data. Thought it would be out as the new academic year has started.

2022-2023 means 2023 entry. It is this years cohort that started. 2023-2024 would be next year the one we are trying to get into?
Reply 71
Hi, I got 2540 in my UCAT and I am applying for 2024 cycle. My predictions are 2A* and 2As. All 8s and 9s at GCSEs. Worked hard on Personal Statement. Do you think I will get into Bham. BTW I am Quantile 3 post code and qualify for contextual offer.
Reply 72
Original post by AQ8627
Hi, I got 2540 in my UCAT and I am applying for 2024 cycle. My predictions are 2A* and 2As. All 8s and 9s at GCSEs. Worked hard on Personal Statement. Do you think I will get into Bham. BTW I am Quantile 3 post code and qualify for contextual offer.

I make your score 7.922, cut off 8.1 last year, but this is using the example deciles Brum give, whereas they use the actual deciles of their applicants, which are usually higher, so it is possible your UCAT score would drop
Hi
I am currently a medical student (1st year) but last year, I was in the same position as all of you guys!

I ended up getting an interview and then an offer!

I know how difficult it can be to prepare, ESPECIALLY if you don't have experienced individuals around you such as siblings/cousins/relatives/friends that were successful applicants. Point being, I would love to provide help for those that really need it i.e. contextual applicants. I enjoy helping anyway, and absolutely loved the interview parts of my application process. Please PM me, and ask me anything you want
Original post by stressedfingers
Hi
I am currently a medical student (1st year) but last year, I was in the same position as all of you guys!

I ended up getting an interview and then an offer!

I know how difficult it can be to prepare, ESPECIALLY if you don't have experienced individuals around you such as siblings/cousins/relatives/friends that were successful applicants. Point being, I would love to provide help for those that really need it i.e. contextual applicants. I enjoy helping anyway, and absolutely loved the interview parts of my application process. Please PM me, and ask me anything you want

Congrats. Could you tell us what university you go to and what grades and UCAT/BMAT score you had. Also did you have a contextual or standard offer. It would be of great help so thanks a lot in advance.
Reply 75
Hi, I'm weighing up if its worth applying to Bham or not, could anyone clarify for me?
GCSEs 9999999998 - scores 4.5/4.5
UCAT 2860 B2 - unsure if this would score 3.5 or 4 could anyone let me know??
A levels predicted A*A*A
No contextual flags

Thanks!
Reply 76
Was concerned by Birmingham using deciles of their applicants to score ucat. Cant find their ucat scores for applicants but did find 2023 leicester medicine on whatdotheyknow.

Had to play around with the download to extract info so use with caution and DYOR. For leicester. 9th decile is above 2950 (vs 2880 for all of ucat (FAOU) in 2022). 8th decile is above 2840 (vs 2750 FAOU) . 7th decile is above 2770 (vs 2660 FAOU). 6th decile is above 2720 (vs 2570 FAOU). 5th decile is above 2670 (vs 2500 FAOU).

So looks like what we all suspected that it is much harder to be in higher decile on ucat when up against medical applicants vs everyone sitting ucat.

This is depressing as thought I stood a chance with Birmingham but just dropped 2 deciles compared to what I thought.

Has anyone else looked at this before as want someone to check my workings?
Reply 77
Was concerned by Birmingham using deciles of their applicants to score ucat. Cant find their ucat scores for applicants but did find 2023 leicester medicine on whatdotheyknow.

Had to play around with the download to extract info so use with caution and DYOR. For leicester. 9th decile is above 2950 (vs 2880 for all of ucat (FAOU) in 2022). 8th decile is above 2840 (vs 2750 FAOU) . 7th decile is above 2770 (vs 2660 FAOU). 6th decile is above 2720 (vs 2570 FAOU). 5th decile is above 2670 (vs 2500 FAOU).

So looks like what we all suspected that it is much harder to be in higher decile on ucat when up against medical applicants vs everyone sitting ucat.

This is depressing as thought I stood a chance with Birmingham but just dropped 2 deciles compared to what I thought.

Has anyone else looked at this before as want someone to check my workings?

See, that is proper analysis! I really miss my stats man, who used to do all of this as I don't have the time or energy, these days.
This would be in line with when Brum used to publish their own deciles from the previous year.
Top decile (10th, not 9th) was 2910
9th 2790
8th 2730

And cut offs have gone up dramatically elsewhere since then, so 40 points up sounds about right, BUT Brum add contextual points, meaning those with lower UCATs can realistically apply, so I suspect is nearer to their previous figures. We advise people work out stats based on being a decile lower than they thought and see if still reasonable.

Their stats document is a bit dodgy, but does give the minimum non-contextual UCAT interviewed last year as 2880, so my guess is that was either the start of the top or 9th decile. Was 2850 the year before and 2830 the year before that
Does anyone know what the lowest ucat accepted was with 0.6 contextual points last year? I can find contextual generally, but this doesnt seperate the different points.
can someone calculate my points for me please?

I got:
2900 ucat band 3
8 9s, 3 8s, and a 7 in english lit
I had free school meals and I am in quintile 2 home postcode but my school isnt contextual.
predicted A*A*A*A*

Is it worth applying with these scores?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending