The Student Room Group

Official: University of Manchester A106 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ananyya
yeah i have the same stats but i am not WP and also an international student. can i apply to Manchester as a reach or dream?

Yes x
is applying with 2790 non-contextual a good idea?
I would hope so, 50+ above would be better but its reasonable
Original post by Mansbksoneneje
is applying with 2790 non-contextual a good idea?
Hi guys, asking for a friend. She is an international student and got 2860 Band 1 in UCAT, 99999998 in IGCSE, A*A*A*A* for predicted grades, has work experience in NHS hospital, volunteering in care homes. Is her chance of getting an interview high? and will it be very difficult to get in even if she got interview? Thanks ! :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by reubenn05

Welcome to the University of Manchester A106 2024 Entry Discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7259927

General info: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/01428/mbchb-medicine/
Entry requirements: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/#course-profile

UCAT cutoff last year (non contextual, home, school leaver): 2750
Overseas cutoff: 2780
WP+ cutoff: 2620
WP++ cutoff: 2610

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

If you want to go for the brand while doing everything on your own, hands down one of the best options for you.
But if you aspire to learn through interactive lectures and projects with helpful profs, you have a whole different thing coming your way. (The above is my own opinion from experience)
Reply 85
Hi. Does anyone know if interviews are in person or online for 2024 entry? Their website says ‘information to follow’ but wondered if anyone had been to the open day and if it was mentioned there? For 2023 they seem to have had an option for online/ in person
Reply 86
Original post by Shslini
Hi. Does anyone know if interviews are in person or online for 2024 entry? Their website says ‘information to follow’ but wondered if anyone had been to the open day and if it was mentioned there? For 2023 they seem to have had an option for online/ in person

Hey, I went to their open day on Saturday and they mentioned interviews will be in person but you have the choice to take it remotely.
Reply 87
Original post by Saahil03
Hey, I went to their open day on Saturday and they mentioned interviews will be in person but you have the choice to take it remotely.

Thanks- did they say when the first interviews may go out? I have not even had the Naif form- did they talk about that all?
I've already applied and was wondering (asking those who have applied as well) when we would get sent the NAIS to fill in?
Reply 89
Hi. Has anyone received the NAIF( non academic information form) yet?
Original post by Shslini
Hi. Has anyone received the NAIF( non academic information form) yet?

nope.
Has everyone else still not had a form sent out? I haven’t
Reply 92
Original post by gabriellalmartin
Has everyone else still not had a form sent out? I haven’t

Nope. I called them and they said they were a bit late sending them out this year and they should be sending them out soon.
Hello everybody!

I am a 4th year Medical Student at the University of Manchester.

If you have any questions about what it is like to study here or life in Manchester please ask away!

The Humerus Medic
Reply 94
hi there, just wondering when manchester send out the naif form since it says after the 15th of october?
Reply 95
Original post by TheHumerusMedic
Hello everybody!

If you have any questions about what it is like to study here or life in Manchester please ask away!

The Humerus Medic

Hi,
I have a few questions about life in Manchester as well as the application process.
1) When do interviews and rejections (pre interview typically get sent out)?
2) How have you found the pbl course? Do you feel like it is extremely independant or is there sufficient support if you require it?
3) Do you get a choice of interview date? Or is it dependant on when you get sent an invite ( as I've seen that they don't all get sent out at once)
4) Aside from the course, what is Manchester like as a city?
Hello everybody!

The Humerus Medic

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to help out answering questions. I've got a few to ask;

- In hindsight, what work experiences/placements do you feel offer the best preparation for studying medicine?
- What are your favourite and least favourite things about the course?
- How have you found learning through clinical placements? Did you find it better or worse than learning on campus, and why?
- I've heard a lot about controversy involving student accommodation in Manchester. How have you found your experience with this, and has it had an impact on your studies at all?

Again, I massively appreciate you taking time to answer our questions.
Thanks,
Spoony
Original post by Noon21
Hi,
I have a few questions about life in Manchester as well as the application process.
1) When do interviews and rejections (pre interview typically get sent out)?
2) How have you found the pbl course? Do you feel like it is extremely independant or is there sufficient support if you require it?
3) Do you get a choice of interview date? Or is it dependant on when you get sent an invite ( as I've seen that they don't all get sent out at once)
4) Aside from the course, what is Manchester like as a city?

I am not too sure about applications anymore, I applied back in 2019 and I am sure the process has changed since the time of my application.
However, I do remember getting my invite to interview just after Christmas time and I got my acceptance around easter.

I personally am not a big fan of PBL and I don't think anybody I know is, it is very independent and you do end up just having to look up almost everything by yourself, also I think they changed it from PBL to cased based learning now. The problem with this type of learning is that you cover one topic in the case but there are about 15 surrounding it and you have to go off and learn it by yourself. That being said no system is perfect. I know people complaining about having to go in all the time in more 'traditional' systems. I am a UCL and Imperial grad and a lot of them wished it was less hands on. I wouldn't put too much bearing on the type of leaning honestly, you kinda just have to get through the preclinical years and then every student in the country uses passmed to learn the clinical stuff.

Again Im not really sure about the interview stuff, it was so long ago. Sorry.

Manchester is a great city, the next best thing after London. I would argue a better student experience. You get the city life and also a really alive student life. There is loads of stuff to do and so many societies, the uni is massive (the biggest I think) so you'll always have stuff to do.

Hope that helps!

I write some uni and med school stuff on a blog if you want to know more (its my username)
Original post by SpoonyManager80
Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to help out answering questions. I've got a few to ask;

- In hindsight, what work experiences/placements do you feel offer the best preparation for studying medicine?
- What are your favourite and least favourite things about the course?
- How have you found learning through clinical placements? Did you find it better or worse than learning on campus, and why?
- I've heard a lot about controversy involving student accommodation in Manchester. How have you found your experience with this, and has it had an impact on your studies at all?

Again, I massively appreciate you taking time to answer our questions.
Thanks,
Spoony

I would just get as much exposure as possible, there have been q few cases of people dropping out once getting to clinical years. They enjoyed the science, not so much the patient interaction, the long hours and saw how much admin there really is in medicine. They just decided nah and left lol. It really isn't that glamorous and you need to make sure you're prepared for that and in it for the right reasons.

The independence is great and not great. You don't really have anybody chasing you up to do stuff, but that can give you a false sense of security, especially around exam time. You need to really keep on top of it and there is a lot, you need to find the resources that work for you and just rinse them (it was Ninja Nerd on YouTube for me). The course is horribly disorganized, they have one admin person for like 400 students in the year, which is mind boggling honestly. It is the biggest medical school in the country. Also they kind just assume you have a car. Once clinical years come around you could have to end up going around quite a bit and it gets tiering without a car. Oh, also word of caution a quarter of your year will end up Preston for clinical years. They really don't advertise that.

Clinical placements are hit or miss. Depends what base hospital you get. I am at Salford and teaching is pretty good. However, people at MRI for example have had so much teaching canceled last minute for one reason or another. Also, if your consultant for the block actually cares about you, you can learn a lot, otherwise it really is up to you to seek out opportunities when you're on the wards and stuff.

I never used student accommodation, I came into the course having done two degrees already, I wasn't really looking to go back into that grimy setting again. However, that is hit or miss as well. Just luck of where you get put, the people around you and just sheer luck of nothing going wrong.

Hope that answers your questions.

Ask more if you need to !

I write some uni and med school stuff on a blog if you want to know more (its my username)
I would just get as much exposure as possible, there have been q few cases of people dropping out once getting to clinical years. They enjoyed the science, not so much the patient interaction, the long hours and saw how much admin there really is in medicine. They just decided nah and left lol. It really isn't that glamorous and you need to make sure you're prepared for that and in it for the right reasons.

The independence is great and not great. You don't really have anybody chasing you up to do stuff, but that can give you a false sense of security, especially around exam time. You need to really keep on top of it and there is a lot, you need to find the resources that work for you and just rinse them (it was Ninja Nerd on YouTube for me). The course is horribly disorganized, they have one admin person for like 400 students in the year, which is mind boggling honestly. It is the biggest medical school in the country. Also they kind just assume you have a car. Once clinical years come around you could have to end up going around quite a bit and it gets tiering without a car. Oh, also word of caution a quarter of your year will end up Preston for clinical years. They really don't advertise that.

Clinical placements are hit or miss. Depends what base hospital you get. I am at Salford and teaching is pretty good. However, people at MRI for example have had so much teaching canceled last minute for one reason or another. Also, if your consultant for the block actually cares about you, you can learn a lot, otherwise it really is up to you to seek out opportunities when you're on the wards and stuff.

I never used student accommodation, I came into the course having done two degrees already, I wasn't really looking to go back into that grimy setting again. However, that is hit or miss as well. Just luck of where you get put, the people around you and just sheer luck of nothing going wrong.

Hope that answers your questions.

Ask more if you need to !

Thanks, I'll be sure to check the blog 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending