The Student Room Group

Official: Keele University A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by (())
Hey everyone! Best of luck for applications this year :smile: A reminder that anything is possible, I recieved 2400 UCAT and i'm starting this med this year...if anyone has any questions - please feel free to message me or ask here :smile: since i applied in 2023 i'm sure i'll be able to answer everyones questions :smile:

thank you! are you starting at Keele? did you get interviews anywhere else?
Do I have a chance for Keele?
GCSEs:
9- history
7-chemistry
7-maths
7-sociology
7-French
6- physics
6- biology
6 English language
6- English Literature

A levels- A*AA predicted. Achieved a C in core maths

Ucat score: 2490 band 2.

Work experience:
Almost 1 yr of charity shop volunteering
10 months of hospital volunteering
Part of my school's foodbank
Did work experience in A&E
And more work experience

I am also a contextual student.
Reply 62
Original post by reubenn05

Welcome to the Keele University A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252545

For general information click: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/underg...rses/medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/medicine/medicineentryrequirements/

Selection process: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/medicine/medicinehowtoapply/#shortlisting

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Hi guys!

I'm predicted A*A*A with 2640 Band 2; GCSEs are 9999999888

Work Experience:
volunteered at hospital (9 months)
volunteered at carehome (2 weeks in total, but 6 hours each day, and only because it was really far so I couldn't go weekly, even though I love St Anne's with all my heart - I'm planning to go back even after uni stuff!)
tutoring (GCSE and 11+ science/maths)
trainee dance teacher (2 years)
Observe GP
Ob-Gyn

Would Keele be a good uni to put? I'm completely stuck with where to apply :frown:
Original post by clarym27
Hi guys!

I'm predicted A*A*A with 2640 Band 2; GCSEs are 9999999888

Work Experience:
volunteered at hospital (9 months)
volunteered at carehome (2 weeks in total, but 6 hours each day, and only because it was really far so I couldn't go weekly, even though I love St Anne's with all my heart - I'm planning to go back even after uni stuff!)
tutoring (GCSE and 11+ science/maths)
trainee dance teacher (2 years)
Observe GP
Ob-Gyn

Would Keele be a good uni to put? I'm completely stuck with where to apply :frown:

your wex looks good, so keele looks like a decent option, but you need to ensure your ps matches their spec. in terms of where else to apply, have a look at aston.
Reply 64
Original post by kitty2005
Do I have a chance for Keele?
GCSEs:
9- history
7-chemistry
7-maths
7-sociology
7-French
6- physics
6- biology
6 English language
6- English Literature

A levels- A*AA predicted. Achieved a C in core maths

Ucat score: 2490 band 2.

Work experience:
Almost 1 yr of charity shop volunteering
10 months of hospital volunteering
Part of my school's foodbank
Did work experience in A&E
And more work experience

I am also a contextual student.

You’ll lose 2-4 points based on UCAT but that shouldn’t be much of a problem as most people applying there don’t have high UCATS main thing is ur PS as that is graded out of 15 where UCAT gets graded out of 7 and u should get around 2-4 points depending on the quintile u fall into. Plus you would get a point for contextual and point for UCAT bursary so as long as ur PS is good and fits their criteria and u reflect very well on ur volunteering (they prioritize this much more than WEX) you should stand a good chance.
Original post by Abaldrouby
You’ll lose 2-4 points based on UCAT but that shouldn’t be much of a problem as most people applying there don’t have high UCATS main thing is ur PS as that is graded out of 15 where UCAT gets graded out of 7 and u should get around 2-4 points depending on the quintile u fall into. Plus you would get a point for contextual and point for UCAT bursary so as long as ur PS is good and fits their criteria and u reflect very well on ur volunteering (they prioritize this much more than WEX) you should stand a good chance.

Thank you!! Can I dm u in the morning?
Reply 66
Hi, could someone please tell me what quintile 2660 would fall under?
Original post by Qwerty06
Hi, could someone please tell me what quintile 2660 would fall under?

2nd
Original post by reubenn05

Welcome to the Keele University A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252545

For general information click: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/underg...rses/medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/medicine/medicineentryrequirements/

Selection process: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/medicine/medicinehowtoapply/#shortlisting

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

I have a ucat of 2410 band 2 and my gcse are 9887665 A* and D*. Predicted A levels of AAA. Wex in a hospital pharmacy and volunteering in care home. Realistically do I have a chance of getting in?
Reply 69
Original post by kitty2005
Thank you!! Can I dm u in the morning?

Yeh np
Original post by (())
Hey everyone! Best of luck for applications this year :smile: A reminder that anything is possible, I recieved 2400 UCAT and i'm starting this med this year...if anyone has any questions - please feel free to message me or ask here :smile: since i applied in 2023 i'm sure i'll be able to answer everyones questions :smile:

Hi, I was predicted A*AA and got one 9, five 7's, two 6's and a distinction with very low UCAT score of 2310 and Band 3. Do you think I should apply for Keele's or take a gap year?
Reply 71
Original post by sameehaakhtar
Hi, I was predicted A*AA and got one 9, five 7's, two 6's and a distinction with very low UCAT score of 2310 and Band 3. Do you think I should apply for Keele's or take a gap year?

I think u should try anyways. No harm in that! Worst case scenario u don’t get in and have to try graduate entry or gap year which ur considering anyways. Since ur predicteds r quite good maybe try different unis that place more weight on it and less on UCAT.
Original post by Qwerty06
I think u should try anyways. No harm in that! Worst case scenario u don’t get in and have to try graduate entry or gap year which ur considering anyways. Since ur predicteds r quite good maybe try different unis that place more weight on it and less on UCAT.

Do you have any idea's about which uni's I should consider??
Reply 73
Original post by sameehaakhtar
Do you have any idea's about which uni's I should consider??

If u have a strong personal statement talking about ur work experiences/volunteering and ur reflections on them u could try Keele anyways as their scoring chart scores personal statement more than UCAT. On the other hand, u could give the BMAT a go. As for university recommendations I’m no expert on that but if u search up unis that accept lower UCAT scores something helpful is sure to come up.
Original post by (())

Hi,
UCAT score-2530,SJ -2 International student IB predictive scores are 37 please advice on which universities to apply
Reply 75
Hi,
I'm predicted ABB, I'm a contextual student because of my postcode. My GCSES are 988888877775. I got 2690 B1 which is hopefully 6 points, but I total 8 points because of an extra point from UCAT bursary and another from contextual. I've only done 1 month of volunteering at a charity store, I've done virtual WEX, and I've got a weeks placement at a hospital coming up, so I haven't completed my PS yet. I'm not sure if I should apply or not because of my lack of volunteering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 76
Original post by saaaaaaan
Hi,
I'm predicted ABB, I'm a contextual student because of my postcode. My GCSES are 988888877775. I got 2690 B1 which is hopefully 6 points, but I total 8 points because of an extra point from UCAT bursary and another from contextual. I've only done 1 month of volunteering at a charity store, I've done virtual WEX, and I've got a weeks placement at a hospital coming up, so I haven't completed my PS yet. I'm not sure if I should apply or not because of my lack of volunteering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your volunteering should be fine as the main thing is what you can take away from it ie reflection cause that’s what they are going to asses from your personal statement your skills and how suitable they are for your degree. One side note double check about your grades because I know that they want AAA* so just make sure they don’t mind applying with low predicted
Reply 77
Original post by Abaldrouby
Your volunteering should be fine as the main thing is what you can take away from it ie reflection cause that’s what they are going to asses from your personal statement your skills and how suitable they are for your degree. One side note double check about your grades because I know that they want AAA* so just make sure they don’t mind applying with low predicted

Keele doesn’t look at predicteds during applications. Just make sure you get the grades needed in the real thing.
how many points out of 10 do you think will be the average across candidates this year? no one knows for sure but as an estimate?
I assume 7 based on average UCAT applied with before (2600 ish) plus a relatively high proportion of contextual who get the +1 point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending