The Student Room Group

How do I ask my teachers to use a different name?

I’m a genderqueer person currently in year 12 (first year of college). I’m out to most people in my life but still go by my deadname at college. I’m not quite sure how to go about asking my teachers to use a different name for me but I do preferable want to do it over email as we are currently on half term and I have social anxiety.
Original post by Mika_123
I’m a genderqueer person currently in year 12 (first year of college). I’m out to most people in my life but still go by my deadname at college. I’m not quite sure how to go about asking my teachers to use a different name for me but I do preferable want to do it over email as we are currently on half term and I have social anxiety.

Hi @Mika_123

I can only imagine how scary it must feel to approach your teachers about this.

However, I can assure you that teachers want nothing more than for you to be comfortable in their lessons. If you can take that first step and send that email just imagine how amazing you will feel once they start using your new name.

I would start off by simply acknowledging that this is pretty tough for you, hence the email. Then, if you feel comfortable, explain to them exactly why being called by your new name is in your best interests. Finally, just end with a few words of appreciation and hit send!!

Of course, that is just my advice and you can do something completely different if you prefer. Ultimately, I just want to offer some words of encouragement. As a training teacher myself I would love nothing more than a student opening up to me about this and then be able to be support them.

I wish you all the best!
Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by Mika_123

Email them and explain. I've been a teacher in this situation several years back and I and the other teachers were fine with it. I had no problem remembering to use the new name though remembering which pronoun to use took longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending