The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Can I use my preferred name on my uni ID if I haven't changed it legally yet?

I'm a transgender guy starting at Uni of Herts in a few weeks. I haven't changed my name legally yet but I really don't want to use my legal name on my ID because I don't go by that name day-to-day and I worry about transphobic people seeing it. I plan on changing it by deed poll soon, but until then do I have to use current my legal name or can I ask to use my preferred name on things like ID and on the register?
Yes, most universities I'm aware of allow this.
I'll move your thread into the Herts forum (where you can still be anonymous) where hopefully you can get confirmation.
(edited 7 months ago)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a transgender guy starting at Uni of Herts in a few weeks. I haven't changed my name legally yet but I really don't want to use my legal name on my ID because I don't go by that name day-to-day and I worry about transphobic people seeing it. I plan on changing it by deed poll soon, but until then do I have to use current my legal name or can I ask to use my preferred name on things like ID and on the register?

Hi there,
You would need to use your current legal name to register and for ID. Details can be updated with proof of name change.
Please do reach out to our Student Records & Enrolments team: [email protected] who process name changes for further advice.
We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Gaynor
UH Marketing Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending