The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Official University of York Applicant Thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Im applying for law with 3 A*s predicted in geography, economics and politics. Anyone else applying law?

no, but i congratulate you for having been predicted/attaining 3 A*s! go you :smile:!
University of York
York
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students considering applying to @University of York for 2024 entry! You can chat with other applicants, and see if you can find someone who could be applying to the same course as you <3! Also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and why you want to apply to this uni!! :smile:

Hey! I got an offer last week for biology! :smile: I was wondering how the college system works? Like are you randomly assigned a college or can you show a preference for one? If so, how likely is it you will get that choice, and are you likely to get what accom you pick from that college (the different price bands)? And im assuming college accommodation is only for first years?Thank you! x
Original post by open-pistachio
Hey! I got an offer last week for biology! :smile: I was wondering how the college system works? Like are you randomly assigned a college or can you show a preference for one? If so, how likely is it you will get that choice, and are you likely to get what accom you pick from that college (the different price bands)? And im assuming college accommodation is only for first years?Thank you! x

Congrats! How long did it take for them to get back to you x
Original post by Anonymous
This is probably a silly question, but what kind of disabilities are generally worth filling out the mitigating circumstances form for? I have a chronic pain condition resulting in some absences due to hospital appointments and general pain (attendance is around 80% or a bit lower depending on flare-ups), but I'm not sure if this is something "serious enough" to be considered when looking at my application. Also whether I should include mental-health conditions (again, not sure if these are something taken into consideration). Thanks :smile:

Hi there,
Thanks for your question.

We recommend you complete our mitigating circumstances form when you submit your UCAS application. You can discuss your chronic pain and mental health conditions on there. Any information you share with us will be kept in confidence and taken into consideration as we assess your application to the University of York. It may be that we are unable to make you reduced offer but the department will take your circumstances into account when we receive your results, if you miss the conditions of your offer.

Let us know if you need anything else.
Thanks
im taking biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and i got my offer to study biochemistry yesterday!!
Original post by Aqa hate page
im taking biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and i got my offer to study biochemistry yesterday!!

wow! that must have been quick! well done :biggrin:!
Original post by Squashysalmon
Congrats! How long did it take for them to get back to you x

Thanks! I sent off my application on the 20th sep and got the offer on 10th oct :smile: I got an offer from cardiff the week before too x
Reply 27
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students considering applying to @University of York for 2024 entry! You can chat with other applicants, and see if you can find someone who could be applying to the same course as you <3! Also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and why you want to apply to this uni!! :smile:

Hi I'm applying for physics with chemistry, maths, and physics! I really love the focus on fusion and other industries that they have ties to, so I'm applying to the year in industry course for extra experience. :smile:
Reply 28
I'm applying to actuarial science, I'm taking Biology Chemistry Maths and EPQ at a level, my school didn't offer further maths because the class size was too small so I'm not sure if that leaves me at a disadvantage.
Hi, I've just received an offer from you (ahh!!!) to study Theoretical Physics. Which accommodation would you recommend - I want to be close to the library and my buildings, and I would ideally like an en suite. Would you be able to give me a price range also? Thanks!!
Hi, I've just received an offer from you (ahh!!!) to study Theoretical Physics. Which accommodation would you recommend - I want to be close to the library and my buildings, and I would ideally like an en suite. Would you be able to give me a price range also? Thanks!
Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
Hi, I've just received an offer from you (ahh!!!) to study Theoretical Physics. Which accommodation would you recommend - I want to be close to the library and my buildings, and I would ideally like an en suite. Would you be able to give me a price range also? Thanks!

Hi!

Congratulations on your offer!!

The Physics department is based in James College on Campus West. In James College, there is the option to have a Band 3 ensuite room for a 40 week let length at £224 per week (2023 entry price). This would be a catered option and the price includes your breakfast and evening meal in the week.

The college nearest the Library is Alcuin College. In Alcuin, there's the option to have a Band 3 ensuite room for 40 weeks at £173 per week (2023 entry price). This would be self catered.

So if you want to be nearest your department, I would suggest James but if you want to be self-catered, I'd suggest Alcuin. It's easy to walk around Campus West so whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll find it easy to get to where you want to be! Here is a full list of rooms and prices
Hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by Wombat11
How much do YorK look at Personal Statements when making offers or is it all about A Level predictions? How important are GCSEs? And so they tend to make offers quickly after people apply or take u til March/April like some places?

Thanks

Hi,
I applied early entry on the 13th of Oct. and received my offer to study History and Politics the same day. However last year, i know a friend had to wait until January for her offer and another that didn't get her rejection until February. I think it just depends on wether they are dealing with a lot of applications at the time you apply.
Sorry couldn't give a definite answer ?
Original post by Lydia_Jayne06
Hi,
I applied early entry on the 13th of Oct. and received my offer to study History and Politics the same day. However last year, i know a friend had to wait until January for her offer and another that didn't get her rejection until February. I think it just depends on wether they are dealing with a lot of applications at the time you apply.
Sorry couldn't give a definite answer ?

the same day!!! wowww
My son received a contextual offer and he's delighted. He hadn't had a chance to apply for the the York Access Scheme - does he still need to?
Original post by Not4meClive
My son received a contextual offer and he's delighted. He hadn't had a chance to apply for the the York Access Scheme - does he still need to?

yay - well done to him! :biggrin:

@University of York

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations to your son on his offer! 🎉

If he's already received a contextual offer then he doesn't need to apply for the York Access scheme in order to receive a reduced offer (as only one reduction is available).

He may wish to contact the [email protected] team though to see whether additional support is available if he requires it.

I hope that helps,
Helen :smile:
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations to your son on his offer! 🎉

If he's already received a contextual offer then he doesn't need to apply for the York Access scheme in order to receive a reduced offer (as only one reduction is available).

He may wish to contact the [email protected] team though to see whether additional support is available if he requires it.

I hope that helps,
Helen :smile:

Thanks very much, I will pass this on to him. :smile:
Reply 39

i’m a scottish student, so this year i’m doing AH maths & physics + Higher chemistry & computing science and I’ve applied for physics with astrophysics & a year in industry (: i hadn’t originally applied to york although i substituted for york after i saw their option to do a year in industry during your degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending