The Student Room Group

University dilemma

I am unsure of what to do. I have a firm offer at University of Nottingham to study a course that I was offered as an alternative to my original application. This course isn’t my preferred choice , however, I really like Nottingham as a University and feel that I would get the full student experience here. I also have a clearing offer for the course I would prefer at University of Leicester. Leicester is a lot closer to home for me than Nottingham and it would make a lot more financial sense for me to live at home so I would lose the “university experience”. I would’ve considered commuting to Nottingham but it’s just that bit too far to do every day hence why I will have to live there. I’m unsure of what to do because on one hand the course at Leicester I would prefer but then at Nottingham I won’t miss out on the University experience.
And therein lies the dilemma

It’s the old “list down the pros and cons of each” I’m afraid

Only you can say what’s right for you and how ready you are for some independence
Reply 2
Original post by Johnny Valentine
And therein lies the dilemma

It’s the old “list down the pros and cons of each” I’m afraid

Only you can say what’s right for you and how ready you are for some independence

Wish I could say the pros and cons list helped.
Reply 3
Just because you could commute to Leicester, does that mean that you actually have to live at home if you go there? Will your parents only top up your loan if you *have* to move away?

First year ccommodation at Leicester looks to be (on average) cheaper than Nottingham, and you will get a higher level of maintenance loan living out, even if not by an awful lot.

As you recognise, the 'full student experience' is there to be had at Leicester as it is at Nottingham, plus Leicester has the course you prefer - and at the end of the day, you are actually at university to study, so choosing the course you want to do would seem a better idea?
Original post by MiaL0611
I am unsure of what to do. I have a firm offer at University of Nottingham to study a course that I was offered as an alternative to my original application. This course isn’t my preferred choice , however, I really like Nottingham as a University and feel that I would get the full student experience here. I also have a clearing offer for the course I would prefer at University of Leicester. Leicester is a lot closer to home for me than Nottingham and it would make a lot more financial sense for me to live at home so I would lose the “university experience”. I would’ve considered commuting to Nottingham but it’s just that bit too far to do every day hence why I will have to live there. I’m unsure of what to do because on one hand the course at Leicester I would prefer but then at Nottingham I won’t miss out on the University experience.

Hi there,
It's ultimately up to you but I would say that moving away from home can be an extremely positive experience, not only for the social side of things but also for your independence. Event post-clearing, there may still be some excellent value for money options in both Nottingham and Leicester, so take a look around. That being said, I would prioritise the course you prefer because this will be what you're studying day in and day out. If you go to Leicester for the course and opt to stay home for first year, this doesn't mean that you can't move out in subsequent years!

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by MiaL0611

Hi there @MiaL0611,

Firstly, many congrats on receiving those offers from 2 strong universities. Deciding between universities is never easy, and it sounds like you’re faced with a real dilemma! There are lots of factors to consider, but the course is definitely a key one because it will have a lot of bearing on your enjoyment of your overall time at uni. Perhaps look into what modules you will take on each course do they look interesting/enjoyable to you? Do they line up with what you might want to do in the future? Would you look forward to studying/learning more about them?

In terms of the student experience, I would say university is what you make of it and you will no doubt get the student experience wherever you choose. Wherever you find yourself going, you will have so many new experiences, meet new people, and doors and opportunities may open up to you which you didn’t expect. Plus, as a student who commuted from home from second year onwards I didn’t feel like I dipped out at all. I still went to the club, quiz and society nights on campus, carried on with my part-time work as a student ambassador if anything I had more social events on than in first year, and the money saved helped me afford it better! Living at home also meant I could truly separate out my university/work life, social life and home life which I found really helped manage my time and protect against burnout.

There are really exciting times ahead for you no matter which you choose and only you can decide what feels right 😊 I would just keep in mind that the course and your enjoyment/learning from it is a big investment in your time at university and your future the student experience will work itself out wherever you choose!

I hope that helps, very best of luck!

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending