The Student Room Group

Legal Action Against University

It all started at the beginning of my first year, after my job transfer was delayed and I tried to contact the so-called "money support", over the phone, to make an appointment, which they refused after about 30 seconds. I then tried just turning up, but with the same result, they kicked me out quicker than I could sit down and only made time for me after I contacted the SU, but gave me bad advice/no advice and as the result, I lost the maintenance grant from SFW.

Then it continued with the fabulous SSS support when I was trying to get the funding for the next year and I almost ended up being homeless between the lockdowns as the result because they couldn't care less and they made several mistakes in their systems.

And just when I thought the third year could be finally normal, the real fun was just getting started. In the middle of an online assignment, they failed to follow their own policy and cut my internet off without any warning or reason, but instead of apologising and taking any responsibility they doubled down and charged me a penalty fee. After couple of emails back and forth, I made a formal complaint, to which they answered late and blamed everything around, expect themselves.

In March, our (uni owned) accommodation was infested with bedbugs, the communication was extremely poor and the promised compensation for all the washing was provided several weeks late. As result, my accommodation payment was once £24 short, but I thought it won't be a problem as we were promised a £100 credit. Well, I was wrong and I got an email that I was charged £30 fine, but due to weird wording, I thought it was because of underpaying that £24, to which they answered me it is not the case, but I paid late. When I proved that I did not, they said it's because I underpaid £24.

I made stage IV formal complaint, which was closed in a day saying that they investigated themselves and they did nothing wrong and even if they did, I deserved it.

But hold on, that's not all! I was sanctioned again in May for making a payment a few days late (despite contacted them) and I found that after my first formal complaint, they secretly stealth-edited the policy they were (incorrectly) referring to in January after my formal complaint, where they changed the payment grace period from 10 days to 5 and they are acting it was there the entire time (I have evidence it wasn't).

And finally, I the final stage V formal complaint to which they promised to answer me on or before the 8th of August, then they said on or before the 15th of August, on the 15th they said on 22nd of August and since then, complete silence.

There is much more to it, but I just wanted to cover the main points.

This was totally worth it every penny I paid this **** uni.

Any advice on what next? Any good solicitors that could help or something like that?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
It all started at the beginning of my first year, after my job transfer was delayed and I tried to contact the so-called "money support", over the phone, to make an appointment, which they refused after about 30 seconds. I then tried just turning up, but with the same result, they kicked me out quicker than I could sit down and only made time for me after I contacted the SU, but gave me bad advice/no advice and as the result, I lost the maintenance grant from SFW.

Then it continued with the fabulous SSS support when I was trying to get the funding for the next year and I almost ended up being homeless between the lockdowns as the result because they couldn't care less and they made several mistakes in their systems.

And just when I thought the third year could be finally normal, the real fun was just getting started. In the middle of an online assignment, they failed to follow their own policy and cut my internet off without any warning or reason, but instead of apologising and taking any responsibility they doubled down and charged me a penalty fee. After couple of emails back and forth, I made a formal complaint, to which they answered late and blamed everything around, expect themselves.

In March, our (uni owned) accommodation was infested with bedbugs, the communication was extremely poor and the promised compensation for all the washing was provided several weeks late. As result, my accommodation payment was once £24 short, but I thought it won't be a problem as we were promised a £100 credit. Well, I was wrong and I got an email that I was charged £30 fine, but due to weird wording, I thought it was because of underpaying that £24, to which they answered me it is not the case, but I paid late. When I proved that I did not, they said it's because I underpaid £24.

I made stage IV formal complaint, which was closed in a day saying that they investigated themselves and they did nothing wrong and even if they did, I deserved it.

But hold on, that's not all! I was sanctioned again in May for making a payment a few days late (despite contacted them) and I found that after my first formal complaint, they secretly stealth-edited the policy they were (incorrectly) referring to in January after my formal complaint, where they changed the payment grace period from 10 days to 5 and they are acting it was there the entire time (I have evidence it wasn't).

And finally, I the final stage V formal complaint to which they promised to answer me on or before the 8th of August, then they said on or before the 15th of August, on the 15th they said on 22nd of August and since then, complete silence.

There is much more to it, but I just wanted to cover the main points.

This was totally worth it every penny I paid this **** uni.

Any advice on what next? Any good solicitors that could help or something like that?

I can't help but feel there is another side to this story. Also, do you hold any responsibility for your own life or are the mishaps and set backs you experience 100% the fault of others?
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
I can't help but feel there is another side to this story. Also, do you hold any responsibility for your own life or are the mishaps and set backs you experience 100% the fault of others?

Oh yeah? Like what? They were supposed to response to formal complaint by the 8th of August, then they said by the 15th of August, then they said by the 22nd of August, but they did not. So I contacted them yesterday, they said they will let know today, again nothing... they don't even have the decency to let me know they won't let me know... TWICE.

but hey, it's totally my fault somehow.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Oh yeah? Like what? They were supposed to response to formal complaint by the 8th of August, then they said by the 15th of August, then they said by the 22nd of August, but they did not. So I contacted them yesterday, they said they will let know today, again nothing... they don't even have the decency to let me know they won't let me know... TWICE.

but hey, it's totally my fault somehow.

Well without unpicking your whole story, money support (whoever they are) are unlikely to turn you down within 30 seconds unless you either simply don't qualify, or you are rude, or simply don't have any appointments available.

Having gone through student finance I have absolutely no idea how you lose your maintenance grant unless you don't qualify for one because your circumstances change or you don't respond to them in the timescale and with the evidence they require.

So like I say, at what point do you start taking some responsibility for the situation you find yourself in?

In my experience bad things caused by a system generally don't happen to people who play by the rules. It sounds to me like you need to read the contracts you enter into and then adhere to the terms and conditions.

You could go down the litigation route and lose or you could learn some valuable lessons and move on with your life
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending