The Student Room Group

Forced to pay back degree apprenticeship tuition fees?

Hi,
I’m struggling to find a definitive answer regarding being required to pay back the costs incurred by my current employers to a UK University for a degree apprenticeship program.

So it’s a small business with less than 20 employees

I’m coming to the end of my apprenticeship course at the university they are funding.

The company isn’t a company I want to work for anymore. The work ethic and business mindset is not one of company I want to be associated with.

I rememeber a brief verbal conversation in which my employer stated I would be required to payback a percentage of the degree apprenticeship costs if I left within 2 years of completing the degree apprenticeship.

Looking around on like it appears that employers cannot request repayment of funding from a degree apprentice if they leave.

I’m looking for a definite answer on this and if links to information sources can be provided as I feel like I will need these

Thank you in advance!
Taken from page 65 of the .GOV Apprenticeship funding rules and guidance for employers, August 2022 to July 2023.

E172 The apprentice must not be asked to contribute financially to the eligible costs of training, on-programme or end-point assessment.

E172.1 This includes both where the individual has completed the programme successfully or has left the programme early.

E172.2 Costs include any co-investment or additional training and assessment costs above the funding band, that you have paid directly to the main provider where this is part of the agreed apprenticeship.

For your reference:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1130013/2223_Employer_Rules_Version_2_Final-Updated180123.pdf#page15
Key questions:

- was the course funded through the government apprenticeship levy funds the firm held? If so see the post above.

- did you sign anything about training costs? If so could you give some details about what it stated?
Reply 3
Hi, I’m in a similar situation and looking for advice too, I’m at the start of my apprenticeship. I did sign a training agreement when I started that states I will pay back the full cost of the course if I leave when I complete the course, the amount to be paid back then decreasing in increments of 1/24ths for each month I stay once I have completed the course. Would they be able to take legal action against me and make me pay back the costs of the course?
Reply 4
Original post by Chris2892
Taken from page 65 of the .GOV Apprenticeship funding rules and guidance for employers, August 2022 to July 2023.

E172 The apprentice must not be asked to contribute financially to the eligible costs of training, on-programme or end-point assessment.

E172.1 This includes both where the individual has completed the programme successfully or has left the programme early.

E172.2 Costs include any co-investment or additional training and assessment costs above the funding band, that you have paid directly to the main provider where this is part of the agreed apprenticeship.

For your reference:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1130013/2223_Employer_Rules_Version_2_Final-Updated180123.pdf#page15

E172.1 The 'Programme' can arguably be said to include the 2yr commitment to stay at the company post degree, which OP would have signed before joining the company. Otherwise, what is the benefit to the employer of all the training (practical and theory) you've been given?
Reply 5
Original post by Emma339
Hi, I’m in a similar situation and looking for advice too, I’m at the start of my apprenticeship. I did sign a training agreement when I started that states I will pay back the full cost of the course if I leave when I complete the course, the amount to be paid back then decreasing in increments of 1/24ths for each month I stay once I have completed the course. Would they be able to take legal action against me and make me pay back the costs of the course?

They aren’t allowed to do this per current government ruling on apprenticeships. Please see my prior comment.

So no, you won’t be required to pay them any training costs tied to the apprenticeship, which includes any internal or external training training that is used for your off-the-job training hours.

This is regardless of what you sign because they’re not permitted to ask you (E172).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending