The Student Room Group

Student Finance Eligibility issue !!

Hi, currently going through a situation with student finance. They asked me for supporting evidence for my application, which I applied for last year. I wasn’t able to provide the evidence as during the timeframe they’re asking for, I was 14 years old. But I have been living in the UK since I was 3 years old. My father passed away during that time, who is my only legal guardian. My legal documents expired during that time, and the money saved to renew mine and his legal documents had to be used to pay for his funeral. I’m no longer in contact with my mum, leaving me estranged. I didn’t think a situation like that would have such a detrimental effect on my education and adult life. Even though I have school records to prove I have been living here, I applied for student finance last year, but my application was declined on the basis of lack of evidence for eligibility. When I had already started my course and moved into my accommodation, I appealed the decision, explaining my situation and the fact I have no control over any of these factors, but they only replied back to me 5 months later still declining me. This delay was so bad that my university is on the brink of kicking me out due to lack of tuition fees, as well as my accommodation taking legal action against me for the same reason. I’m only 19 years old, and I can’t afford any of these fees. I managed to save and work hard to pay & apply for my British passport and citizenship to reapply for student finance as a British citizen, but I was told that I’ll still not receive student finance as it’s been over three months since my course start date. My case is very unique, and I’m in serious distress, and my mental health has been completely diminished. My whole life is going to be ruined, and I’ve been left with over £15,000 in debt. I’ve tried and worked so hard to do anything to help me, my credit score is about to be ruined all because my father passed away. I honestly believe the system hasn’t treated me fairly at all, and student Finance don’t really care at all. I’ve had countless calls and emails, and I don’t know what else I can do. Please help me. Thank you.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Hi, currently going through a situation with student finance. They asked me for supporting evidence for my application, which I applied for last year. I wasn’t able to provide the evidence as during the timeframe they’re asking for, I was 14 years old. But I have been living in the UK since I was 3 years old. My father passed away during that time, who is my only legal guardian. My legal documents expired during that time, and the money saved to renew mine and his legal documents had to be used to pay for his funeral. I’m no longer in contact with my mum, leaving me estranged. I didn’t think a situation like that would have such a detrimental effect on my education and adult life. Even though I have school records to prove I have been living here, I applied for student finance last year, but my application was declined on the basis of lack of evidence for eligibility. When I had already started my course and moved into my accommodation, I appealed the decision, explaining my situation and the fact I have no control over any of these factors, but they only replied back to me 5 months later still declining me. This delay was so bad that my university is on the brink of kicking me out due to lack of tuition fees, as well as my accommodation taking legal action against me for the same reason. I’m only 19 years old, and I can’t afford any of these fees. I managed to save and work hard to pay & apply for my British passport and citizenship to reapply for student finance as a British citizen, but I was told that I’ll still not receive student finance as it’s been over three months since my course start date. My case is very unique, and I’m in serious distress, and my mental health has been completely diminished .My whole life is going to be ruined, and I’ve been left with over £15,000 in debt. I’ve tried and worked so hard to do anything to help me, my credit score is about to be ruined all because my father passed away. I honestly believe the system hasn’t treated me fairly at all, and student Finance don’t really care at all. I’ve had countless calls and emails, and I don’t know what else I can do. Please help me. Thank you.
Original post by Davidkd135
Hi, currently going through a situation with student finance. They asked me for supporting evidence for my application, which I applied for last year. I wasn’t able to provide the evidence as during the timeframe they’re asking for, I was 14 years old. But I have been living in the UK since I was 3 years old. My father passed away during that time, who is my only legal guardian. My legal documents expired during that time, and the money saved to renew mine and his legal documents had to be used to pay for his funeral. I’m no longer in contact with my mum, leaving me estranged. I didn’t think a situation like that would have such a detrimental effect on my education and adult life. Even though I have school records to prove I have been living here, I applied for student finance last year, but my application was declined on the basis of lack of evidence for eligibility. When I had already started my course and moved into my accommodation, I appealed the decision, explaining my situation and the fact I have no control over any of these factors, but they only replied back to me 5 months later still declining me. This delay was so bad that my university is on the brink of kicking me out due to lack of tuition fees, as well as my accommodation taking legal action against me for the same reason. I’m only 19 years old, and I can’t afford any of these fees. I managed to save and work hard to pay & apply for my British passport and citizenship to reapply for student finance as a British citizen, but I was told that I’ll still not receive student finance as it’s been over three months since my course start date. My case is very unique, and I’m in serious distress, and my mental health has been completely diminished .My whole life is going to be ruined, and I’ve been left with over £15,000 in debt. I’ve tried and worked so hard to do anything to help me, my credit score is about to be ruined all because my father passed away. I honestly believe the system hasn’t treated me fairly at all, and student Finance don’t really care at all. I’ve had countless calls and emails, and I don’t know what else I can do. Please help me. Thank you.
Hi David. First, I am sorry to hear of the stress that this decision has put on yourself. In terms of your eligibility it sounds like it was Long Residency evidence that was requested that you were not able to provide. Going forward, if you have already made an appeal and the appeal was rejected, you would need to go through the process of following up that decision further. We have guidance for this on the Gov.uk website I have linked below that would outline the next steps.
Student Finance England - Appeals procedure - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Thanks - David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending