The Student Room Group

High-paying jobs not requiring a specific degree

So I will be starting uni and have started thinking about jobs etc. and looking around my options. I will be doing physics and have considered research and engineering etc. However, I was also wondering about what other pathways are there as I want to do a variety of work experience in my first year to further explore. Heard about consulting, IB and auditing and wanted to explore more as the pay looks pretty good and I think I might have a chance (if I do internships etc.) as I'm going to Oxford. What are some other job options and where can I learn more about them as I have absolutely no idea about the finance sector. Thanks!
Reply 1
It's great that you're thinking ahead and considering various career options as you start your university journey. With a physics degree from Oxford, you'll have a strong foundation that can open doors to many opportunities beyond research and engineering. Here are some potential job options to explore, along with resources to learn more about them:

Quantitative Analyst (Quant): Quants apply mathematical and statistical models to financial markets, helping institutions make informed investment decisions. This role requires strong analytical and quantitative skills. You can learn more about quants and the finance sector from resources like "The Quants" by Scott Patterson.

Data Analyst/Scientist: Your physics background can be valuable in data analysis and data science. Many industries require experts who can analyze large datasets and extract meaningful insights. Platforms like Coursera and edX offer data science courses to help you learn more.

Actuaries assess and manage risk for insurance companies, pension funds, and other financial institutions. Your analytical skills translate well into this role. You can check out the Society of Actuaries website to learn more about becoming an actuary.

Technology and Innovation: Tech companies often value analytical thinkers who can solve complex problems. Roles in tech consulting, product management, or technology research could be worth exploring.

Management Consulting: Consultants provide strategic advice to businesses to solve various challenges. They often work on operations, strategy, and organizational change projects. You can learn about management consulting through resources like "Case Interview Secrets" by Victor Cheng.

Investment Banking (IB): Investment bankers assist companies with raising capital, mergers, acquisitions, and financial advisory services. If you're interested in IB, resources like "Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers & Acquisitions" by Joshua Pearl and Joshua Rosenbaum could provide insights.

Auditing and Accounting: Auditors examine financial records to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulations. This could be a path to consider if you're interested in finance and enjoy the attention to detail.

Energy and Environmental Consulting: Physics graduates can play a role in advising on energy efficiency, environmental impact assessments, and sustainability initiatives.

Policy Analysis: If you're interested in the intersection of science and policy, roles in policy analysis within government agencies or think tanks could be worth exploring.

To learn more about these options and the finance sector in general, you can:

Read Books: Look for books related to each field to gain insights into the required roles, responsibilities, and skill sets.

Online Resources: Explore websites of relevant professional organisations, industry blogs, and online forums where professionals discuss their careers and experiences.

Networking: Reach out to professionals in different fields through LinkedIn, career fairs, and university events to gain firsthand information about their career paths.

Internships: Participate in internships or work experiences in different sectors to understand what each job entails.

Remember that your university's career services office can provide valuable guidance and resources as you explore your career options. Keep an open mind and be willing to adapt as you learn more about the various paths that align with your skills and interests.
Reply 2
Original post by anton31
It's great that you're thinking ahead and considering various career options as you start your university journey. With a physics degree from Oxford, you'll have a strong foundation that can open doors to many opportunities beyond research and engineering. Here are some potential job options to explore, along with resources to learn more about them:

Quantitative Analyst (Quant): Quants apply mathematical and statistical models to financial markets, helping institutions make informed investment decisions. This role requires strong analytical and quantitative skills. You can learn more about quants and the finance sector from resources like "The Quants" by Scott Patterson.

Data Analyst/Scientist: Your physics background can be valuable in data analysis and data science. Many industries require experts who can analyze large datasets and extract meaningful insights. Platforms like Coursera and edX offer data science courses to help you learn more.

Actuaries assess and manage risk for insurance companies, pension funds, and other financial institutions. Your analytical skills translate well into this role. You can check out the Society of Actuaries website to learn more about becoming an actuary.

Technology and Innovation: Tech companies often value analytical thinkers who can solve complex problems. Roles in tech consulting, product management, or technology research could be worth exploring.

Management Consulting: Consultants provide strategic advice to businesses to solve various challenges. They often work on operations, strategy, and organizational change projects. You can learn about management consulting through resources like "Case Interview Secrets" by Victor Cheng.

Investment Banking (IB): Investment bankers assist companies with raising capital, mergers, acquisitions, and financial advisory services. If you're interested in IB, resources like "Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers & Acquisitions" by Joshua Pearl and Joshua Rosenbaum could provide insights.

Auditing and Accounting: Auditors examine financial records to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulations. This could be a path to consider if you're interested in finance and enjoy the attention to detail.

Energy and Environmental Consulting: Physics graduates can play a role in advising on energy efficiency, environmental impact assessments, and sustainability initiatives.

Policy Analysis: If you're interested in the intersection of science and policy, roles in policy analysis within government agencies or think tanks could be worth exploring.

To learn more about these options and the finance sector in general, you can:

Read Books: Look for books related to each field to gain insights into the required roles, responsibilities, and skill sets.

Online Resources: Explore websites of relevant professional organisations, industry blogs, and online forums where professionals discuss their careers and experiences.

Networking: Reach out to professionals in different fields through LinkedIn, career fairs, and university events to gain firsthand information about their career paths.

Internships: Participate in internships or work experiences in different sectors to understand what each job entails.

Remember that your university's career services office can provide valuable guidance and resources as you explore your career options. Keep an open mind and be willing to adapt as you learn more about the various paths that align with your skills and interests.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply and resources! I'll check them out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending