The Student Room Group

do predicted a level grades matter as long as they fit the entry requirements?

eg. if the entry requirements of a course were AAA, would competitive unis care if I got AAA rather than A*A*A, as both would fit the entry requirements
For competitive courses, yes they may care. The stronger the grades the better.
Not really A* A* A* for an AAA course wouldn’t matter you would have exceeded you offer your still in job done. You might get an offer where they specifically want a grade in a subject area for instance AAB and one of those A’s must be in a math based class or something depending on your A-levels they won’t make an offer they don’t think you can meet. Just a word on typical offers you’ll see on websites and things they can and do make offers below those so if you haven’t done your UCAS form yet there is no hard in having 1 or 2 aspirational choices but make sure you don’t have all 5 aspirational and don’t pin your happiness on those university’s and where you put those university’s on your options list don’t matter it’s your firm and insurance that matter.
Original post by oceanb1ue
eg. if the entry requirements of a course were AAA, would competitive unis care if I got AAA rather than A*A*A, as both would fit the entry requirements

When you say "I got AAA" are you talking about predictions or actual results?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
When you say "I got AAA" are you talking about predictions or actual results?

No basically I just started Year 12 and we were told this as an example to say that it doesn't matter what predicted grades you get as long as you match your entry requirements (that an AAA candidate and A*A*A candidate are equal) but this didn't sound right since offers are based on predicted grades and an offer can't be taken back as long as you match the offer on results day, so in theory an applicant with AAA wouldn't be any weaker than an A*A*A candidate which doesn't make sense.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
That’s not true for competitive course where say there are 100 places, 300 applicants and they expect to make 200 offers. Everyone applying is likely to have predicted grades at least matching the minimum requirement. Those that exceed the minimum requirement are more likely to get an offer.

If it is a course where they give everyone who applies who meet the minimum requirements an offer, then then no it won’t matter.
Original post by oceanb1ue
No basically I just started Year 12 and we were told this as an example to say that it doesn't matter what predicted grades you get as long as you match your entry requirements (that an AAA candidate and A*A*A candidate are equal) but this didn't sound right since offers are based on predicted grades and an offer can't be taken back as long as you match the offer on results day, so in theory an applicant with AAA wouldn't be any weaker than an A*A*A candidate which doesn't make sense.

In that case, stronger predicted grades are generally an advantage in obtaining an offer, particularly for extremely competitive courses.
Reply 7
okay thanks for clearing it up everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending