The Student Room Group

Are there specific techniques for memorizing complex information?

Reply 1
Original post by Freelancewriter

I guess it sort of depends on what type of information it is. Although I find the key to memorizing anything complicated is understanding really well first and then youre more likely to remember it.
Another trick for memorizing which works well for some people is reading the information while at the same time scribbling on a piece of paper - apparently this helps integrate the information into your memory.
Hope that helpss :smile:
Reply 2

(1 - Introduction) Take in the information in bitesize pieces, it's important not to overwhelm yourself by attempting to learn a chapter or topic in one go.
(2 - Consolidation) When you feel like you have an understanding of the content by watching a video or making notes from the textbook etc., consolidate with practice questions. Mark them as you go along to see what you're missing until you're consistent.
(3 - Revision) A few days later, try similar questions again and see if you can do them. Repeat, spacing revision further apart until it's embossed in your memory like a branding iron.

For straight memorisation I use Brainscape flashcards. Best of luck :tongue:
Reply 3
Hi, my advice would be creating memory hooks, for example, you can create a mnemonic for your information or to make a mindmap, or draw something that your brain would remember, it could be really bizarre but that makes your brain remember it. I know this might be a waste of time doing those art stuff, but I think it worth a try!

Complex information is about understanding, as you understand more of it, the easier it is to remember
To give an analogy, if you are painting a wall, you have to let the paint dry before applying another layer, otherwise the layers will mix, and the wall would look worser than it did with one layer of paint

Quick Reply

Latest